Ohio Motorized Bicycle Laws

Anton

Administrator
Staff member
Local time
10:51 AM
Anton submitted a new resource:

Ohio Motorized Bicycle Laws - License Required & Registration Required

A motorized bicycle is considered a moped in Ohio. A moped must meet all of the following criteria according to state law:
  • 2 or 3 wheels (1 front and 2 rear).
  • Minimum inflated tire width size of 1.75 inches and an inflated diameter of 19 inches.
  • The vehicle must be capable of being pedaled as well as carrying a helper motor, which cannot:
    ―Have a piston displacement larger than 50cc.
    ―Be capable of producing more...

Read more about this resource...

So I read the rules, apparently people are not aware of them. We see no plates, no mirror and children about 13 and over without helmets. They ride in the road on N. North street and on Grace street they did not stop at a stop sign and almost got hit by me. It breaks my heart. Maybe ABC News should make it aware of what is expected. It does have a motor and needs to follow the rules. I really don't feel everyone is aware of what is required of them. Thank you for your time.

Maybe ABC News should make it aware of what is expected.
I doubt that a national broadcaster such as ABC news is going to highlight laws and rules on motorised bicycles for the state of just Ohio and that is because the laws vary widely from State to State as it is State, Local and many times County and City/Town ordinances that govern what is legal or illegal, not Federal law that governs what is legal or illegal, in the USA...In my own State of New Mexico, as an example, the Motor Vehicle Department law governing Motorised bikes states the following.

Chapter 18 – Other “Vehicles”

Section E. Motorized Bicycles
Revised November 30, 2017

Motorized Bicycles are not considered to be mopeds or motorcycles.

By current MVD practice, motorized bicycles are considered to be bicycles (not mopeds or motorcycles) and are not subject to the titling and registration requirements of the Motor Vehicle Code.

Section D. Bicycles
Revised November 30, 2017

Bicycle defined (§66-1-4.2(A))

A bicycle is a device propelled by human power upon which any person may ride, having two tandem wheels, except scooters and similar devices.

Traffic laws apply to bicycles (§66-3-702)

Every person riding a bicycle upon a roadway shall be granted all of the rights and shall be subject to all of the duties applicable to the driver of a vehicle, except as noted below.

Ridng bicycles on roads or bicycle paths (§66-3-705)

1. Every person operating a bicycle upon a roadway shall ride as near to the right side of the roadway as practicable, exercising due care when passing a standing vehicle or one proceeding in the same direction.

2. Persons riding bicycles upon a roadway shall not ride more than two abreast except on paths or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles.

3. Notwithstanding any provision of this section, no bicycle shall be operated on any roadway in a manner that would create a public safety hazard.

??Lamps and other equipment (§66-3-707)

1. Every bicycle when in use at nighttime shall be equipped with a lamp on the front which shall emit a white light visible from a distance of at least five hundred feet to the front and with a red reflector on the rear of a type approved by the division which shall be visible from all distances from fifty feet to three hundred feet to the rear when directly in front of lawful upper beams of head lamps on a motor vehicle. A lamp emitting a red light visible from a distance of five hundred feet to the rear may be used in addition to the red reflector.

2. No person shall operate a bicycle unless it is equipped with a bell or other device capable of giving a signal audible for a distance of at least one hundred feet, except that a bicycle shall not be equipped with, nor shall any person use upon a bicycle any siren or whistle.
3. Every bicycle shall be equipped with a brake which will enable the operator to make the brake wheels skid on dry, level, clean pavement.
The Motor Vehicle Division is neither required nor authorized to title or register bicycles.

Simply put, this state treats them as ordinary bicycles that only have to follow the normal rules of the road that any bicyclist needs to follow applicable to the State of New Mexico, They don't even mention any age restriction or needing a helmut, let alone a mirror in this state but I have them on my bike anyways just for safety reasons.

There is no "one size fits all" when it comes to State, County, or Local laws governing motorised bicycles in the US.

Must have revised the law. Seems reasonable except the 50cc/1hp rule. No cop is going to be checking the hp at all. I'd just play stupid and not know.

So I read the rules, apparently people are not aware of them. We see no plates, no mirror and children about 13 and over without helmets. They ride in the road on N. North street and on Grace street they did not stop at a stop sign and almost got hit by me. It breaks my heart. Maybe ABC News should make it aware of what is expected. It does have a motor and needs to follow the rules. I really don't feel everyone is aware of what is required of them. Thank you for your time.
I feel for you. However, many of us cyclist/MB'ers believe in fully obeying the traffic laws. Ohio is one of the few states which allows a 14 yo to operate a moped/motorized bicycle/ebike; with a 20 mph speed limit. Even pedal only bicycles are expected to obey traffic laws.

Unfortunately, many haven't been taught good safe cycling techniques and these bad habits get transferred over into the motorized bicycle world. Trying to draw national attention at best will only get motorized bicycle banned in some states. What I recommend doing is sharing these videos with people you know who cycle and ride MB's. This isn't just a child thing. Sadly, even on this forum we have very experienced builders who have bad cycling habits but I feel we have way more that have good cycling skills. I'm hoping your thread draws a lot of attention so MB'ers will realize it only takes one bad apple to spoil the batch.

Back