Oil Bath Clutch

Geno

Local time
1:28 AM
Has anyone ever tried running the primary drive in oil? Yes you will have to beef up the clutch because of slipping but it would be much better for the gear drive. I have noticed some problems with the stock set-up( a little grease on the gears.) So I thought I would ask.

Last edited:
It works well as it is, why bother with the added complication and potential leakage?

He is saying how it is now is OK, and why would you want to deal with sealing it up so it doesn't leak.

I agree with him though There are a lot of leakage points. But sure, you could try!

I tried that. Not really a good idea tbh. Unless you're making stock power (aka completely stock), then it probably won't slip. Just toss a bit of grease on it (not too much) and you should be fine. I, personally, never had issues running it dry so why try to improve something that almost certainly won't fail before your top end, crank, or seals?
Edit: Or your mounting. I never had stock mounting stay put. It always moves around or bends and breaks. Grab a drill and tap and go to a 5/16 thread.

Stock clutch is fine. Had well over 1000 miles on my bike that hit 54mph. Just clean them with brake cleaner and adjust them correctly. Other then that don't use to much grease on the bevel gears.

i would personally not waste you time on it, as the stock clutch is more than good enough (hell, people with Frankenstein motors run it stock, and they make close to 16 hp!)
the clutch hasent even come close to wearing, and it had 1800 miles on it!
just grease the gears with some nice grease once in a while and it will last.

Back