oil catch can on 142f

rstiemert

Local time
8:17 PM
Has anyone on here ever used an oil catch can on their bike? I have a 142f that won't run without the crankcase tube connected to the air filter. That was suggested since I want to switch to either the dellorto SHA 15.15 carburetor, or the NT carburetor. I figured the catch can was a better option than the special air filter that sick bikes sells. I was looking specifically at a small (I have minimal room to mount this thing), simplistic one, that Harley Davidson makes. I know I also need to rejet/tune my carburetor, as well as do a valve lash, as I've never even opened up the motor before. It's only got maybe 20 hours on it. If you do run an oil catch can, do you notice any improvements, and are they worth it?

There are virtually (and realistically) zero benefits other than looks, it does become something that requires emptying from time to time. Some carburetors already have a port for oil injection which can serve for an oil breather, a specialized filter is cheaper and is as simple as it can get (other than a zip-tied tube facing the ground, a catch keeps the oil from your Harley from dripping on your nice garage floor,) the filter may not fit a carburetor you might upgrade to in the future, extra oil is not harmful to be burned, just as long as it's not a lot.

I looked at just the breather filter option but, I couldn't find ime small enough. I'd need one that will push in a 6mm ID tube and one that's really small.

This is ove of the Harley ones. It's small enough so it'll work.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180601-000458_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20180601-000458_eBay.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 345
This is the one I'd like, but it's just too big.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180529-021309_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20180529-021309_eBay.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 193
There are virtually (and realistically) zero benefits other than looks, it does become something that requires emptying from time to time. Some carburetors already have a port for oil injection which can serve for an oil breather, a specialized filter is cheaper and is as simple as it can get (other than a zip-tied tube facing the ground, a catch keeps the oil from your Harley from dripping on your nice garage floor,) the filter may not fit a carburetor you might upgrade to in the future, extra oil is not harmful to be burned, just as long as it's not a lot.

Okay. I wasn't sure. My main point in wanting to get one of these is that my motor wouldn't run without the crankcase vent tube connected to the air filter.

Back