oil in clutch case

U

urbancombat

I have black oil residue in my clutch case. DAX 2 stroke Anyone ever had this happen? It's got some miles on it. I had to clean all the oil out, as the plates wouldn't grab. Is there a seal in there that needs replacing?

"black oil residue"....this is news to me........your sure it's oil and not some sorta grease residue?
E-mail Dax(or possibly he might see this post) with specific details(eg,how many miles/your maintenance routine,etc) and get his advice,the guys pretty knowledgeable.

open the magneto cover and see if the seal behind rotor is leaking
I have seen this before and it made my clutch slip and squeal

yep

yep, did that. My clutch was slipping too, I cleaned it all out with some solvent, and some laundry detergent, also roughed up the pads and plate, and it kicks in fine now. I've got a fair amount of miles on it. it's two years old. The residue looks just like black engine oil from your car's crankcase. I don't think it's gear lube, I put that on sparingly.

It's hard to tell if you have a leak, you can't see behind the plate. But the first time it happened I had black oil all over the plate, inside the casing, ugh.

You will find the seal behind the small gear is bad. I had one go on one of my bikes. The oil is from the crankcase and is being pushed out instead of being fed to cylinder. I was lucky I dug through a box of seals and found 4 that will fit, I could not tell you what they were for. If you keep going it will grind the metal part up in the small gear. Have fun, Dave
First pic is, seal in pieces, small ring should be embedded in the rubber. Second is new install.

Attachments

• PICT0244.JPG
    PICT0244.JPG
    362.1 KB · Views: 535
  • PICT0246.JPG
    PICT0246.JPG
    400.8 KB · Views: 630
Last edited by a moderator:
egor im haveing the same problem with my engine! how did you get small gear off crank end? we tried to pry it out to no avail! also do you think the blown seals are due to crank end play, were crank berrings ok?

WAVY The way you get the gear off is with a puller, special made for this engine. A lot of the kits came with the puller in the box, if not I suspect you will have to buy one. Everything was OK the bearings were fine it is just that the seals are poor quality, every time the piston moves down it compresses the gasses in the crankcase, or pushes the seals out. Have fun, Dave

WAVY The way you get the gear off is with a puller, special made for this engine. A lot of the kits came with the puller in the box, if not I suspect you will have to buy one. Everything was OK the bearings were fine it is just that the seals are poor quality, every time the piston moves down it compresses the gasses in the crankcase, or pushes the seals out. Have fun, Dave

This puller Egor i'm assuming it's a seperate puller to the countershaft sprocket puller that's supplied with the kit...is that right?

No, that is the same one, you just take the bolt out of the center and flip it over and use the other side, put the bolt back in from the other side. I put grease on the threads to help it work smoother. Make sure you get it threaded all the way in the gear. Good luck. Have fun, Dave

Back