Break In Oil leakage during break in?

Holly

Local time
5:11 AM
I've been enjoying the ride but notice that I've got oil that seems to be leaking from the top. I thought it was to do with the spark plug being loose but even after tightening that there's still leakage.

Also the spark plug is dark in color. I'm running with a NGK B5HS right now. It's there a better plug? I'm thinking I need a new one and a head gasket. Can I use the heat/ oil resident gasket maker I have or does it have to be aluminum?

Is this normal so early on? I would guess my fuel is too rich but I used 6 oz to 1 gallon, I'm pretty confident that's correct?

It runs and idles good so if not for the noticeable oil I wouldn't guess anything else is going on.

Input appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Holly,
If the oil is leaking from between the head and cylinder, your headgasket is leaking.
Try tightening it a bit (a torque wrench would be a good idea!).

The NGK B5HS is a hot plug, so a colder one would only be darker.
The problem is rich fuel or oil mixture, which is generally safe.
Fuel mixture is a tricky one and better left alone until you learn more. Overheating and damage could result.
The stock NT carb is set slightly rich, but is generally safe for any temperature or elevation.
If you want to experiment with fuel mixture, try lowering your your float level 2-3mm or the needle 1 notch and see what happens.
Don't lose the little clip on the needle, or the hinge pin on the float.
Do it over a smooth floor in case you drop something.

6oz/gallon is plenty and will cause black oil dripping out the exhaust pipe.
Try cutting back to 5oz/gallon and see how things work.
Will make the plug less dark too.

Hi Holly,
If the oil is leaking from between the head and cylinder, your headgasket is leaking.
Try tightening it a bit (a torque wrench would be a good idea!).

The NGK B5HS is a hot plug, so a colder one would only be darker.
The problem is rich fuel or oil mixture, which is generally safe.
Fuel mixture is a tricky one and better left alone until you learn more. Overheating and damage could result.
The stock NT carb is set slightly rich, but is generally safe for any temperature or elevation.
If you want to experiment with fuel mixture, try lowering your your float level 2-3mm or the needle 1 notch and see what happens.
Don't lose the little clip on the needle, or the hinge pin on the float.
Do it over a smooth floor in case you drop something.

6oz/gallon is plenty and will cause black oil dripping out the exhaust pipe.
Try cutting back to 5oz/gallon and see how things work.
Will make the plug less dark too.
Great info thanks! I actually found the oil is leaking from the carb. Could that just be because it's too rich?

Back