Oil mixture for 2 stroke!

Dillon325

Local time
8:11 AM
What are the benefits and disadvantages of running 50:1, versus a mix richer in oil?

It's actually dpg (dollars per gallon,) stick with 32:1 and you should be just fine.
That's what I run, since conveniently, my gas can holds 1 gal, 4 oz, anyway. And for convenience, I don't measure my oil, I zero the empty can on a scale I have, and weigh it. That's the right way, anyway, since oil and water don't weigh the same. Just to try to be helpful, here are some ratio mixes for one gallon:
2.5oz = 50:1
4oz = 32:1
5oz = 25:1
8oz = 16:1

But I should point out that certain brands of oil are made to run at one mix ratio regardless of what you run it in. Personally, I'm not sure which to go with, what the engine calls for, or the oil, so I avoid those if the two aren't the same thing.
I used to race off road motorcycles, and only once ever used any oil except Bel Ray MC1, and that one time I seized up my engine. I use whatever is cheapest in this engine, though, I'm not racing it, or anything. MC1 calls for 50:1 in everything.
I raced the Mauna Kea 200, on Hawaii. I wasn't a professional, but a local privateer. I placed very well, though, up there with the pro's, but this is mostly because I lived on that island, and knew the course better, and practiced on it every time I rode. And I knew things about it, mostly that there is only one kind of tire to use, the very cheapest tires you could buy, the Ching Shin tire. They are hard as hell. The gravel, if you want to call it that, on that island isn't actually gravel, it's ground volcanic glass, and it's extremely abrasive, and eats tires like you wouldn't believe. I never used any other kind of tire, so if there was any traction disadvantage, I wouldn't know. I could finish the whole race on one set, while nobody else could. It takes 3 or 4 sets of super expensive motocross racing tires to finish, those are way too soft, made for the track. I only had to stop for fuel, and had the biggest tank I could get on my bike. Still, that YZ490 really liked gas. That was so much fun! Boy, it didn't like cheap oil, though, and since it was already overbored as far as it could be, that toasted it good.

I'm so damn scared of the oil mix 1 company sez this other company sez that no way to track a motor to its maker to get the holy truth my newer motor that was running like a demon from hell is now turninging into a magot on wheels next motor I get is going to be a 4 stroke I have work construction around mixers and you can depend on 8 hour days running tons of motor threw them 5 days a week 32 weeks a year without any serious problem other than clean the air filter.

I'm so damn scared of the oil mix 1 company sez this other company sez that no way to track a motor to its maker to get the holy truth my newer motor that was running like a demon from hell is now turninging into a magot on wheels next motor I get is going to be a 4 stroke I have work construction around mixers and you can depend on 8 hour days running tons of motor threw them 5 days a week 32 weeks a year without any serious problem other than clean the air filter.
Well you know what they say, when in doubt - do without. If that makes things worse then increase the amount of oil per gallon until you no longer have problems. Usually best to test this across multiple engines and find the mean ratio amongst them, the meaner the betterer.

Back