Oil mixture

When I pull the spark plug it is covered in black soot. The oil I am using is full synthetic and it is two and a half oz and says the mix is 50 to 1. Why is the spark plug covered in black soot if I'm not using enough oil?

More oil is used at break in to protect the bearings and rings as the surfaces wear into each other. It's there to also keep the heat under control as the extra friction during break in causes the engines to run hotter.
The oil I'm using says it is 50 to 1 if I put all of it in there but when I pull the spark plug it is covered in black soot. Also the motor berbals a lot.

The oil I'm using says it is 50 to 1 if I put all of it in there but when I pull the spark plug it is covered in black soot. Also the motor berbals a lot.
Just because you can run the oil at 50:1 doesn't mean your engine can. I don't recommend going that thin with the oil, but to each their own.

The black plug and "burble" noises means you are getting way too much fuel. Likely the float needle isn't sealing, unless you put a bigger jet in it.

When I pull the spark plug it is covered in black soot. The oil I am using is full synthetic and it is two and a half oz and says the mix is 50 to 1. Why is the spark plug covered in black soot if I'm not using enough oil?
Are you mixing it with Gasoline at the ration of 50-1? In other words, how much gasoline are you mixing with the 2.5 ozs of oil? And I assume you are mixing it in a container then pouring the mix into the tank on the bike?

The oil I am using is full synthetic and comes in a small package that is two and a half ounces. It says it is 50 to 1 to 1 gallon
Re-think what you are doing.

Never break-in a 2 cycle motor with full synthetic...For the first two tanks of gas...One gallon...You need to be using a 2 cycle CONVENTIONAL oil in order to seat the rings properly to the cylinder...In plain terms, synthetic is too slippery and doesn't allow for proper ring seating for break-in purposes.

Empty that gas tank of that synthetic mix into a gasoline jerry jug and start all over.

Get a quart of Valvoline 2 cycle CONVENTIONAL oil at any autoparts store and mix with one full gallon of gas, (hopefully you can get ethanol- free gas where you live since ethanol corrodes aluminum, pits the carburetors and damages the crank seals of these motors), and mix the gas with just 5.5 ounces of that 2 cycle oil and shake the gallon gas can vigorously enough to fully mix the gas/oil and then fill the tank...That gallon will be enough for 2 tanks which will be a proper break-in period.

Once that gallon is gone, THEN you can go with the full synthetic at 32:1 ratio which will be 4 ounces oil to one full gallon of gasoline.

Welcome to the forum. It is basic Math My friend. Ounces of gas divided by ounces of oil. Give that a Try.
When I pull the spark plug it is covered in black soot. Would going from 2 1/2 to 4 ounces make it worse? I am new to these motors so I am trying to learn.

Re-think what you are doing.

Never break-in a 2 cycle motor with full synthetic...For the first two tanks of gas...One gallon...You need to be using a 2 cycle CONVENTIONAL oil in order to seat the rings properly to the cylinder...In plain terms, synthetic is too slippery and doesn't allow for proper ring seating for break-in purposes.

Empty that gas tank of that synthetic mix into a gasoline jerry jug and start all over.

Get a quart of Valvoline 2 cycle CONVENTIONAL oil at any autoparts store and mix with one full gallon of gas, (hopefully you can get ethanol- free gas where you live since ethanol corrodes aluminum, pits the carburetors and damages the crank seals of these motors), and mix the gas with just 5.5 ounces of that 2 cycle oil and shake the gallon gas can vigorously enough to fully mix the gas/oil and then fill the tank...That gallon will be enough for 2 tanks which will be a proper break-in period.

When I pull the spark plug it is covered in black soot. Would going from 2 1/2 to 4 ounces make it worse? I am new to these motors so I am trying to learn.

Once that gallon is gone, THEN you can go with the full synthetic at 32:1 ratio which will be 4 ounces oil to one full gallon of gasoline.

I ran 2 gallons of regular oil and then switch to full synthetic. The mixture of the oil I'm using is 50 to 1. When I pull the spark plug it is covered in black soot. If I switch to 32 to one will the soot get worse or better?

I ran 2 gallons of regular oil and then switch to full synthetic. The mixture of the oil I'm using is 50 to 1. When I pull the spark plug it is covered in black soot. If I switch to 32 to one will the soot get worse or better?
I will politely ask again. Regardless of what brand or type of oil you are using, how many ounces of oil are you putting in one gallon of gas? I just wany to confirm the actual mix you are using as you have stated the "oil says 50-1". It does not matter what is on the label, but the amount you use in one gallon of gas.

Back