Oil?

O-o-o-oh! another oil thread. Many minds will be changed and databases created.

I'm trying an experiment, I'm going to buy Dollar General two stroke oil for a year and see if it's as good as the super semi synthetic I can get at WalMart.

Oil opinions are like assholes, everyone has one or two or three.

Oil opinions are like assholes, everyone has one or two or three.
Considering some of the replies, I get the impression that the more you spend on oil, the better your entire life will be. Especially if it's purple.

My father worked during WWII in the petroleum industry, and not just an oil yard grunt, he was top of his class in college and had a degree in chemical engineering and boiler-making. So he was building cracking towers and knew the molecular structures, and how oil was refined and distilled. And his reply was always "Buy oil, change your oil, Any oil is better than not enough, all of the stock sold for lubrication is going to be pretty much the same as the rest." He was partial to Chevron and Delo, as he worked for their parent Allied Chemical.

There was an old website I found a few years back, the owner was an oil chemist like my father, and his opinion, backed by some interesting experiments he did with viscosity loss and long chain molecular retention after 100 hours in a typical car engine was that two basic retail oils: Walmart's branded, and Chevron Supreme came out slightly better than some of the highest priced oils. including some semi synthetics.

Synthetics are in their own league, but price doesn't factor in this much either.

Dad ran some old 40's vintage Homelite 220 volt 3 phase 2 stroke generators that powered concrete vibrators for thousands of hours on regular Chevron 2 cycle oil. These engines usually ran under a full load all the time when in use, and the last time we used one was when we were ripping 12X4 dock planking with a 12" Porter Cable worm drive portable at 220 volts for a water and electrical dock job for the county parks at Lakeside and Winchester Bay. 30:1 regular gas and Chevron with engines running 6 hours a day under a pretty steady load. No engines were destroyed with this "cheap" oil.

Last edited:
Opti 2 is a very special type of 2 cycle oil designed to run at 100 to 1
I have used opti 2 with out trouble in the past, especially when on sale, I mix mine at 50 to 1 to run my things that run 24 : 1 or 32:1. For newer engines that require 50:1 I mix at the recommended 100:1.

I have used opti 2 with out trouble in the past, especially when on sale, I mix mine at 50 to 1 to run my things that run 24 : 1 or 32:1. For newer engines that require 50:1 I mix at the recommended 100:1.
I've had people warn me against it but I got over 2000 miles on my engine running it at 100 to 1. Meh, until I have trouble I'm not changing. I use a syringe to measure it out, 40cc/gallon

30 weight lawn mower oil.
Back in the day, that was all there was, and it never hurt my 2t trolling motor.
Then they came out with Opti and Amsoil 100/1, both ashless oils, in super viscosity.

Whatever you do, do put in some kind of oil!

Back