Oily Magneto?

skinnerman

Local time
11:36 PM
I was told that an oily magneto was the problem, but after reading up on it I saw that gas/oil are insulators,
and
shouldn't really effect the mag. My mag is only producing around 30v AC when it should be producing about 80v AC, correct?

So how can I fix it? How do I seal the case for the mag?

How do I seal the case for the mag?

You need to replace the crankshaft seal, but it's the most difficult job you can attempt with the engine assembled, because there is great risk that you will damage the crankshaft surface when removing the seal from the engine case half.

When the crankshaft surface is scratched, it will effectively become a scraper that will tear out the working surface of the new crankshaft seal. The only way to resolve such a problem is to replace the crankshaft which is a fairly serious job for a newbie.

If you can live with the leaking seal, then just live with it, unless the seal is damaged to the point where you are losing significant crankcase compression.

they make a tool (looks a bit like a cargo handler's hook) that will punch in thru the rubber of the seal and just hook it right out of there - no damage to seating surface or shaft

there are 2 types, harbor freight has one that looks like a tiny pickaxe

googling 'seal removal tool' got a lot like that, but I didn't find the one I really like which looks a bit like a mutant corkscrew (it works in tighter spaces that the usual one)

Back