Ok...i Give Up!

Hal the Elder

Local time
2:15 PM
How in the World does the Compression Release hold the Exhaust Valve open?

Is there a pin or something that holds the Lifter away from the Cam? Or a pin that holds the Valve Stem away from the Lifter?

I won't know until I start tinkering with my new Whiz-Bang, or until y'all tell me!

HAL

Last edited:
Hi Hal, A very simple device. There is a washer between the lifter and the lifter bolt & nut. The compression cover has a small cam [round pin with a flat side] that when turned lifts the washer [and lifter] upward and opens the exhaust valve.

Are you going for the automatic clutch bike?

Have fun,
Quenton

Last edited:
so THAT'S how they do it!

Thanks Quenton, and yes, it's affirmative...I'm buying the 2006 NE5 with the Automatic Centrifugal Clutch.

Do you know what the diameter of the stock clutch pulley is? It is 50mm, 70mm, or 90mm?

I want the highest gear ratio possible, to keep my revs low while I "slow-cruise" my desert back roads.

As I mentioned in my "Bringing The Right-Size Tools" thread, would you know the size of the Allen Wrench for the steering gooseneck on the NE5? The 6mm wrench fits the gooseneck on my Schwinn Classic Cruiser, which looks like the same frame as the NE5.

I may need that wrench for re-positioning the handlebars on the Whizzer to provide room for loading it into my low-profile hatchback.

Thanks...
HAL

Last edited:
Hi Hal,

The most common clutch on a new Whizzer is the 90 MM [3.5433"], but that doesn't mean all are 90 MM. It is possible that it will have a 70 MM. If it has a 70 MM and you want the 90 MM, I will trade you, but you have to cover the shipping cost. The most common allen size used on the handlebars is a 6 MM, but I have seen a few versions with a different "gooseneck", so you might want to take several allen wrenches with you just in case. Won't be long now and you will riding a Whizzer.

Have fun,
Quenton

Hey Quenton:

Is the clutch size you refer to:

The input pulley (from engine to clutch), or the output pulley (from clutch to rear wheel) that you're referring to with those sizes?

If I decide later to order the clutch hub with the hardened bearing race, which pulley would that be associated with?

(I just like to have as much technical information as possible!)

Cheers...
HAL

Hi Hal,
Everything you wanted to know about Whizzer clutches, but were afraid to ask....
The pulley on the flywheel is 2.5" [approx.], the drive pulley on the clutch [manual & automatic] is 5" [approx.] affording a 2 X 1 ratio. The output pulley on the manual is 3.5" [approx.] or 90 MM, and the automatic was offered as a 3.5" [90 MM] standard. Then a 50 MM [1.968"] was offered to owners who wanted a little more take off, more hill climbing ability, but had NO top end. Then the 70 MM [2.7559"] was introduced and was much closer to solve the take off problems and still have some top end. The rear sheeve is 15". If you do the math always count the rear sheeve as 15.75" becuase this correct the numbers to allow for the belts sinking into the pulleys. An example is 2.5" / 5" / 3.5" / 15" = 8.57 X 1, however the motor turns 9 times for every time the wheel turns once, therefore the actual numbers are 2.5" / 5" / 3.5" /15.75" = 9 X 1. If you want to carry this information to another level, try this... at 5000 RPMs on a 26" with the 90 MM clutch the bike will travel 42.969 MPH. At 6000 RPMs the bike would achieve 51.563 MPH. And at 7000 RPMs the speed would be 60.157 MPH. Or as we travel down the back roads of NC at 8000 RPMs the speedometer runs out of numbers, but the caculated speed would be 68.75 MPH [or the needle between the two z's in the word Whizzer at the bottom of the speedometer].

The hardened bearing race is installed on the output side of the clutch.

Have fun,
Quenton

Last edited:
Gobs Of Information!

Thanks Quenton...now I know how those drive ratios work...it's the input (outer) pulley on the clutch which is available in different sizes, right?

It seems that 5000 RPM is the recommended "red line" of that engine.

I would keep my revs much lower than that to stay under 30MPH, 'cause I'm a "slow cruisin' dude"!

I still hope my sickle comes with the 90mm pulley.

Tomorrow's the day!
HAL

Last edited:
Thanks Quenton...now I know how those drive ratios work...it's the input (outer) pulley on the clutch which is available in different sizes, right?

HAL

Nope. It's the inner pulley on the clutch that is different. It's the pulley that connects with sheave on the rear wheel. Larger=faster etc.

Jim

Back