Ok... Im a n00b... and I'm a fatty... whats right for me?

bigkat650

Local time
12:40 PM
I'm a big dude-- 6ft 1, 300+lbs I have searched and found some info, but not much at all regarding people of my size

I have been researching for the past week or so, and looking for a system that is reliable, relatively inexpensive (say $600 or less for kit and motor), as quite as possible, and a good fit for a big guy like myself. I want to stay 49cc's or less.

I don't need to have to fly around, I think 30mph would be PLENTY fast for me, and I don't mind peddling some, so long as I'm not killing myself. Where I live in upstate NY (Ithaca), there are plenty of fairly decent sized hills. I can peddle assist up the hills no problem, but I don't think I could do them without some assistance, or an ill-fated hart attack.

So here is what I have gathered so far:

I like the simplicity of the friction drive set-up, esp the idea that I could take several rollers on a trip, and change them out pending on the hills and valley's on the road to get optimal performance. I think due to my size, a 1inch roller would be used on the hillier terrain, and I could opt for a 1.25inch roller, or even larger on flat stretches. I am slightly concerned over the slippage issue in wet conditions, however I have heard of a roller that is designed to work in wet conditions... any reviews on this?

I also have looked at the GEBE system, and liked that for a couple of reasons. One being that the motor is mounted directly above the frame, and not off to the side. I figure this would help with balance. I am a little concerned about the spokes not being strong enough, esp with my large size.

Finally, I have pondered the Dax Titan chain drive set-up. I cannot find on the webpage where the set-up is sold, I can only find the titan motor. I like the durability that the chain drive reputations have, and feel this is another contender for my situation.

When it comes to a motor, I have several I have thought about. I want to get the most power for my money as I can, and really want a quite ride. The Dax-Titan motor looks solid, and is a good price. I also like the higher reported RPM range with it. Another option I have come across is the motors on bestbikeengine.com, as they have both a 52cc and a 49cc which are at a very good price. Finnally, the smallenginewarehouse.com has the Honda GXH50QHA for just over $200.

So, for a 300+lbs size guy... which kit and motor would you run?

Kits:

Friction drive with multiple rollers
GEBE
Rear Mounted chain drive

Engines:

Dax Titan
Honda GXH50QHA
49cc/52cc from http://www.bestbikeengine.com/engines.html

Thanks for any and all replies:cool:

Hmmm... seems all motorized bicycles, even peddle-assist bikes are illegal in New York... Good thing this city is a very liberal city, and I think I will be ok- so long as the motor is REALLY quite... Im gonna need to invest in a quite motor, and the most quite muffler I can find!

hi bigkat and welcome,

if you click on the link you will end up on thatsdax page, it looks like the titan kit is out of stock at the moment, call Duane and he should be able to tell you when you could get your hands on one.

http://thatsdax.com/index.html

(top right of web page)

Your heading down the right road with either of the gebe, or daxs kits, also staton makes a solid chain kit with different engines to choose from... they are all good quality kits and top notch vendors in the motorizing bike business.

Friction drive might be a concern,( i think DE has the non slip roller) i live in the desert so no problem with my rig.

I own a gebe setup and a staton friction drive kit and love them both, you will have to beef up your wheels with 10/12 gage spokes even us smaller guys do that as the 14 gage standard spokes will eventually give with the extra stress of the motor.

search the fourms and you will find builds that will help you decide.

Last edited:
If I were shopping the market, I'd look real hard at Tanaka. A friend of mine ran one for many, many thousands of miles. As long as you mix the oil good, they run and run...
I'd personally not be interested in the chain drive chinese stuff, they don't last as long and have way too many pieces to go wrong...plus if ever the motor seizes, I hear they skid to a stop.

Hello BigKat650...

Just to throw this out there, as you are a larger man then myself at 230lbs, have you ever thought of a pusher trailler?

I built two so far and I love them, they are incredible in terms of the torque they can offer you and being able to get up steep hills with NO pedaling at all.

I built one based on a 6.5 horsepower Briggs and Stratton engine, it was easily able to get me going from a dead stop and get me up the steepest of hills with no pedaling at all.

Setting up the axle with both wheels driving offers very good traction, and YES, even while raining I was able to use it!

I have some pics of it in my albums if you would like to see an idea of one!

Btw, it was easily removeable as it connected and pivoted on the seat post!

Regards, Steve

Hello BigKat650...

Just to throw this out there, as you are a larger man then myself at 230lbs, have you ever thought of a pusher trailler?

I built two so far and I love them, they are incredible in terms of the torque they can offer you and being able to get up steep hills with NO pedaling at all.

I built one based on a 6.5 horsepower Briggs and Stratton engine, it was easily able to get me going from a dead stop and get me up the steepest of hills with no pedaling at all.

Setting up the axle with both wheels driving offers very good traction, and YES, even while raining I was able to use it!

I have some pics of it in my albums if you would like to see an idea of one!

Btw, it was easily removeable as it connected and pivoted on the seat post!

Regards, Steve

sorry beaudry, but i dont think a pusher trailer would be a very smart idea since he lives in NY and any motorized bicycle is illegal. unless you can convince them that it is not a motorized bicycle and rather a motorized trailer, i dont think it would be good idea. I dont remember who it was, but someone on here has a rack mounted engine with a mesh cover around it to hide the engine and a long exhaust pipe with two mufflers. i'll try to find it.

Hey...

Just putting it out there, knowing all the ideas is better then only knowing some!

Although, it could easily be conceiled inside of a case and my B&S was actually very quiet compared to my 66cc HT.....

And with all due respect, the extra torque would take alot of strain off an engine with the weight he is.

Hey...

Just putting it out there, knowing all the ideas is better then only knowing some!

Although, it could easily be conceiled inside of a case and my B&S was actually very quiet compared to my 66cc HT.....

And with all due respect, the extra torque would take alot of strain off an engine with the weight he is.

i know what you mean and no disrepect to you but im just saying that i think the trailer would attract more attention than a rack mounted engine, and with the bikes being illegal, attention is probably the last thing that he needs.

I agree, if you want something robust enough for 300+ lbs, a pusher with at least 3hp and low gearing would be the way to go.

It's a pity a decent torque converter isn't available for the small Chinese engines. They'd go a long way toward making the MB more practical mode of transportation for a wider variety of body sizes.

But if you want quiet, electric is the only option. Thing is, if MBs are illegal, why not just bite the bullet and get a motorcycle? One of the big attractions of MBs that make them viable in most places is the lack of regulations. But where you live, regulations are extreme.

Hello and welcome.

My 2 cents: put your money into a solid bike (Schwinn Heavi Duti seems like a possibility). If money is getting short at that point, go with a happy time.
Ride slower and easier than those of us who are lighter.

You ought to get along that way.

Back