Break In ok to ride long time on brand new engine?

masterx1234

Local time
9:29 PM
hey guys, i just got my kit together and wondering if its ok to ride it for its first 10 mile journey, the engine is brand new, so it isnt broke-in yet, is it ok to ride for ten miles??? will i break the motor?

My engine was broken in while being limited to 12 mph or so and on a mix of good quality two-stroke oil made specifically for air-cooled engines (not water cooled). Kept speed limited for two tanks of fuel, then up the speed for one more tank to 18 mph or so, then adjusted fuel-to-oil ratio to something I was comfortable with (24:1 in my case). I later went with a synthetic 2-stroke oil, but at twice the oil portion the label claims is okay.

Keep looking for bolts that break or vibrate loose; these engines have that habit.

If you like to tinker, you will like your engine. There is always something that someone will say. "This makes it run better...".

My engine has 1,060 miles on it. I am still amazed on some days at how well it runs using the original cheap carburator, considering how I reassembled a bunch of parts destined for the dumpster.

Wear a GOOD helmet, obey traffic laws, and you will have fun!

MikeJ

Be prepared for

masterx1234 - i use a 2 stroke synthetic oil. i heard synthetic oil is better for break in periods. i also went with a 16.1 gas/oil for my first tank. have fun!

Sure its ok but you'll probably break unless you followed the many build tips pon thsi website.

ok sorry, and thanks guys!, i just got my alarm today so now im gonna make some vids of it and it'll be on my youtube, just seaRCh mastax1234 on youtube

I'd limit trips to a few minutes out, and a few minutes back. Let engine
throughly cool, run again to heat up. I wouldn't go far on an unproven, unseasoned, bike. A few short trips will season the block / pipe, and will hold torque. Short runs identify which bolts loosen.

When engine starts easier, clutch works smoother, it's broke in enough
for the 10 mile trip. Don't run at any one speed for long, hit high RPMs
briefly, than back off. Let cool before re-torquing head, and pipe. Add
jam nuts where needed. Careful break in assures long engine life.

well, call it a reminder then...just making sure whoever wanted help all the way back then understands everything clearly :)

you think he did?

Back