ok to start my engine?

masterx1234

Local time
2:26 PM
i was wondering is it ok to start this motor without it being attached to the clutch drum? will i break it? i was afraid the clutch would grab the engine housing and break it, would it happen?

Attachments

• DSC00044.jpg
    DSC00044.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 128
  • DSC00045.jpg
    DSC00045.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 132
I wouldn't. If the engine RPM gets high enough to cause the clutch to engage, it could also deform the clutch spring. Now, if you remove the clutch first, you could start it up without those issues.

I have several engines with the 78mm clutch. Over the years I have started and run them while adjusting carbs and working out exhaust without any ill effects at all. I don't rev an engine very high without a load but have never given any thought to how the clutch is behaving. I think the amount of travel is limited so it doesn't contact the engine when run without a bell on it. Just my 2 cents worth.

Tom

I have that same engine. I wouldn't think of starting it with the clutch installed. That's a pretty powerful engine. To be on the safe side I'd remove the clutch assembley. Also be careful of vibration if you strt the engine if it's not attached to anything. It might vibrate, dance around and get away from you. I've never started mine with it not being bolted to something solid.

Back