Administrator
Staff member
Local time
2:35 PM
Anton submitted a new resource:

Oklahoma Motorized Bicycle Laws - License Required & Registration Not Required

The law in Ohio states that a motorized bicycle is any bicycle having:
1. Fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power;
2. A power drive system that functions directly or automatically without clutching or shifting by the operator after the drive system is engaged; and
3. A combustion engine with a piston or rotor displacement of eighty (80 cu cm) cubic centimeters or less, regardless of the number of chambers in the engine,...

Read more about this resource...

Last edited:
Yes hello I see that you state you do not need a license and you do not need registration for motorized bicycles, but what from I have been reading around a few other websites they say that you do in fact need a license and registration. Can you confirm or deny this? I was interested in buying one of these bikes.

Looks like things have changed. I have updated the main article:

You must have a Class A, B, C, or D license with a motorcycle endorsement to ride a motorized bicycle in Oklahoma. Reference: http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/deliverdocument.asp?id=82351

I don't see anything to suport a change in licensing requirements on the link you reference. Are you sure you're going forward not backwards, pre 2013? Please reference some type of supporting document.

Ah yes thankyou, I was looking at an older version. The current revision has had motorized bicycles removed from the bill. It only mentions motor-driven cycles which are defined differently from motorized bicycles.

So as far as I can see you do not need a license or registration to ride a motorized bicycle in Oklahoma.

From what all I've read in Oklahoma law 35 cc or 1000 watts and under along with being at least 16 and staying under 25 mph won't require a license or registration. If you stay under 150 cc and 30 mph you won't need a motorcycle license.

From what all I've read in Oklahoma law 35 cc or 1000 watts and under along with being at least 16 and staying under 25 mph won't require a license or registration. If you stay under 150 cc and 30 mph you won't need a motorcycle license.
Unless it changed back again, under 80cc/35mph is a bicycle and requires no license. Any regulations referring to maximum watts are normally reserved for electric bicyles or e-bikes which in OK no longer require a drivers license.

https://www.sos.ok.gov/documents/legislation/53rd/2012/2R/HB/2683.pdf

http://law.justia.com/codes/oklahoma/2014/title-47/section-47-1-104/

I thought e bikes are now regulated by federal law and a driver's license isn't required anywhere?

I still fail to see how that regulation fails to cover a gas powered bike as far as permits to drive are concerned, being that you're equally capable of getting killed with an electric bike as a gas powered, and you're not going to be any better a driver just because the motor runs on electricity.

Seems like another political move fueled by that ever precious dollar, being that electric bike and regular bike rental companies are on the rise, suppose if an important enough investor to the grand cause (of politics) wants a special law passed then all he has to do is donate to whatever crap the president's wife is mustering up and he'll have no choice but to oblige or get impeached by his only superior...

perhaps, it was a political and nature conservation agenda to promote green energy and disadvantage fossil fuels. though under trump now, we might get equal protection for the gas powered bikes which while not better than electric in terms of the environment is probably better than most gas cars. however, we do not have exhaust filters on our bikes... so i dunno

Back