Old dog, new trick

SimpleSimon

Local time
10:24 AM
Hello all -

I'm new to this forum, although certainly not to forums in general. I've known Large Filipino for a goodly while at a couple other forums, and have watched his progression from utter newb at motorizing bikes to his current exalted status with interest. He's a good man, with the desire to make this activity grow.

I used to ride a bike quite a lot, years ago, and would be still were I not now disabled to a degree that precludes my two-wheeling at all.

So, about a year ago, I decided I wanted a trike. After a bunch of investigation, I concluded I didn't want a delta trike, but rather a tadpole, and a leaner that I can add either gas or electric assist to readily. I've done a lot of sketching and idea research via Google Sketchup and the web, because, quite frankly, I can't find what I want.

See, due to my disability, I can't easily use a regular recumbent trike, nor could I steer it if my legs would let me do so. I need a semi-recumbent, with a steering yoke or bars that I can put all controls on the right side of, as my left hand is a steel hook.

I've worked out my geometry and basic design criteria - track, wheelbase, caster/camber, steering geometry (dual parallelogram w/single spring over shock active suspension). I'm considering flexible steering based on a swaged/cased cable link to the bell crank, single tie rod and a connecting rod trailing the king pins, ackerman swing arm geometry back to the king pin axial plane, 20 inch front wheels.

Right now the drive train is my last major hurdle. Well, that and teaching myself to use Alibre Design to be able to render all of the components more accurately than I can with Sketchup. Two major choices to make - chain, or shaft drive? Electric, or gas assist? I'm gonna go with a 3 speed internal hub 26 inch rear wheel, 40 spoke/12 ga, and probably dual front disc brakes.

My riding will be confined to roads/paved paths (of which there are very few hereabouts), but I am also engaged in building a nice little expandable camper trailer my econobox car will be able to tow. On my income, paying hotel/motel bills is a major impediment to traveling as much as I'd like.

So, with the growth in interest and expertise displayed here in the last year, I decided it was time to register.

G'day man & welcome to MBc.
Nice intro & hopefually we'll hear plenty from you.
"exalted status"......don't tell him that or he'll start charging an entry fee. :)

hello and welcome to MBc! this is the home of many answers...good luck and happy motoring!

SS!!!! AAAAHHH!!!

AWESOME!

Simple Simon is a good man,fellas.

WELCOME to MBc!!!!

EEEEEEEE!!!!

Welcome to MBc. A leaner, eh? I've looked at them a bit, but, for me, I don't feel the improved performance would be worth the added complication. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Back