• Register now! It's free and easy.
  • Show your bike to the world, upload a photo today!
  • Hi Guest, did you know we have a dark style? It might be easier on the eyes at night time! Try it out here: Style Chooser

Old dog, new tricks. PICTURES!

G

Well, I actually welded my crank to my sprocket successfully today.
On a non-motored bike which I broke a while back. I got my 110v out and used some 6013 rod and it went pretty well for me, the non-welder.

Thanks for listening,
Joe

G

I was affraid I was going to punch a hole in the sprocket by having the welder set to penetrate the crank.

After I quit screwing around and turned the welder up to 90a and slowed way down, I actually made a couple of short, crooked beads. More than enough material to hold considering what used to hold it together. It just looks like S*&t. I used two rods! :LOL:

G

spectacular....

In photo 2 you can see the hole where the "pin" broke out of.

G

gone_fishin

my tip, but not criticism, my first welds looked pretty splotchy too: more heat...linger on the crank long enuff for penetration, then slide down to the sprocket just long enough, then back up...it's tricky but not too.

O

OldPete

Never! Ever! Do you try to weld a chromed surface. Grind chrome off.
Good prep 'n fit is half the battle when learning to weld.
Practice on junk parts first.

Hate me for being honest if you must. :cool:

G

Well, I did remove some "chrome" around the junction of the sprocket and crank. I also removed some paint before I started.

Or are you refering to the electrode marks on the crank? Those were not intentional....

Anyhow, it holds. :D