Old Murray Cruiser.

You can go with triple trees, dual springer, or knee springer forks. The triple trees don't have suspension, plus they don't fit a classic look.

You can go with triple trees, dual springer, or knee springer forks. The triple trees don't have suspension, plus they don't fit a classic look.
I am going to check it out today. I am just hoping the frame is not too tall. This seller was a poor historian---except that it was grandma's 35 year old "Schwinn" lol.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
What upgrade would be a good idea for the forks? They are not as beefy as the forks on my Schwinn Cruiser, but they look like
the forks on my road bikes. I never go off-road.
Before you swap out the forks, make sure you measure your head tube, length and diameter. Older bikes only have 1" steerer.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Before you swap out the forks, make sure you measure your head tube, length and diameter. Older bikes only have 1" steerer.
Thanks. I picked it up. It's a 1987 Murray Monterey and I suspect it has the smaller head tube.
It is going to need some work before I worry about the forks. Rust free but lots of paint chips.
Loose coaster brake, dry rot tires, flopping fenders etc.
Basically looks like the same bike as this prior thread: Murray Monterey

Thanks. I picked it up. It's a 1987 Murray Monterey and I suspect it has the smaller head tube.
It is going to need some work before I worry about the forks. Rust free but lots of paint chips.
Loose coaster brake, dry rot tires, flopping fenders etc.
Basically looks like the same bike as this prior thread: Murray Monterey
Glad you picked up the Murray cruiser. That's my Murray in the link. Don't worry about swapping forks, they're fine if you don't mind having no suspension. Your bike is in MUCH better condition than what I started out with. I made two modifications. The coaster brake isn't enough so I added a side pull caliper to the front wheel, big improvement. I also welded on the front motor mount because clamp-on mount wasn't secure enough.

In my mind this is the type of bike these motors are made for and the finished product looks just right. I'm loving it. 😎

Glad you picked up the Murray cruiser. That's my Murray in the link. Don't worry about swapping forks, they're fine if you don't mind having no suspension. Your bike is in MUCH better condition than what I started out with. I made two modifications. The coaster brake isn't enough so I added a side pull caliper to the front wheel, big improvement. I also welded on the front motor mount because clamp-on mount wasn't secure enough.

In my mind this is the type of bike these motors are made for and the finished product looks just right. I'm loving it. 😎
That is a great looking build you did. Kept the stock vintage look! I have this one all torn apart--sanding. Found no surprises.
I will probably opt to leave off the fenders if/when I put on a motor --the top mounting points are sketchy imo (1 screw each) .
Plus I am going to try to mount a rear brake caliper to the little crossbar the rear fender attaches to. For now will just try to get it
back to a usable bike with brakes. Did you have any issues adding the front brake caliper? Thanks, John

Attachments

• murrayframe.jpg
    murrayframe.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 68
Back