Old School Eye Candy

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been several months since I posted photos and a description of my first build, the "Red Hornet". That bike got mixed reviews, some people just don't appreciate Pee Wee Herman like I do! Anyway, since then I've been putting an insane amount of time in a Chrome Giant Stiletto with a 66cc Chinagirl, a custom springer seat, and custom springer front end. Actually, I should call the bike "Frankenstein" because I scavenged parts from OCCs as well as several other brands. The hard pan seat is fabbed from a heavy aluminum frying pan from my father-in-laws restaurant, the front wheel is an OCC wheel re-laced with ss spokes and converted to disc brake with the 3 inch tire that originally came on the rear of the Stiletto. The rear wheel is a 4.25" OCC wheel with a welded seam and re-laced with 12 gauge ss spokes and converted to disc brake. I also used a sprocket conversion in place of the freewheel. The rear fender is from an OCC, the front from a cruiser. Both chains are upgraded BMX (my chinese 415 chains started cracking). The controls are standard MB, but the cables are heavier scooter cables. The AMF Harley tank came from an old 350 sprint. It lifts from the rear and slides out of rubber mounts just like it was originally designed to do. It's held in place by a heavy rubber O-ring, so it comes off in 30 seconds for maintenance. I tweaked the Chinagirl to squeeze out a little extra power to handle the added weight of this build. Shortly I will add a LED headlight, a horn, and a Whizzer speedometer from my parts bin. The configuration on this bike makes it a blast to ride. I hope you like it.

Attachments

• DSCN2901.JPG
    DSCN2901.JPG
    482.8 KB · Views: 2,230
  • DSCN2902.JPG
    DSCN2902.JPG
    459.5 KB · Views: 1,527
  • DSCN2909.JPG
    DSCN2909.JPG
    447.1 KB · Views: 1,457
Scootmeister,

My tank install is a little different than yours. My tank holders are on the front of the tank http://media.photobucket.com/image/...e/Honda%20Parts%2003/HondaCA175K3FuelTube.jpg but I am thinking about mounting it backwards since it looks better on the frame.

It has a metal tab in the rear to secure the tank to the frame.

Did you put any rubber between the bottom of your tank and the crossbar to keep vibrations from wearing the bottom of the tank?

Attachments

• House paint bike.jpg
    House paint bike.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 285
That Honda tank is sharp, I like it. I can't wait to see it on your bike. My tank sits about 1/2" above the frame crossbar so there is no rubbing and no vibration. I installed the rubber mounts, #14 on your diagram, a little high so the tank would clear. Here is a photo of my tank tunnel that shows the rear seats for the rubber mounts, plus the anchor points for the o-ring that holds the tank on. I have a Yamaha tank like yours with the one anchor for a bolt. If you can come up with mounting points for the tank, you could have a threaded bolt in the upward position, just behind you head tube if you want to mount the tank backwards, and simply drop the tank anchor over that bolt and put a nice chrome acorn nut on it. Good luck.

Attachments

• DSCN2937.JPG
    DSCN2937.JPG
    365.5 KB · Views: 278
Yo Dan, will pull the tank and snap a couple of shots as soon as I can get to the store to buy batteries for my camera. Thanks for the excuse to take my bike out for an excursion!!!

Okay Scootmeister,

Got the S90 tank in the mail today and wanted you to see what it looks like on my frame before welding and painting.

8744 is the S90 tank and 8746 is the standard bike tank.

Do you think the tank is too big for the bike? Your Harley tank appears to be much smaller.

Attachments

• P0008744.jpg
    P0008744.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 278
  • P0008746.jpg
    P0008746.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:
Hi Birdmann.. Personally, I like a big tank. If you look at pictures of the old Cafe Racers from the 60s, the Nortons, BSAs, Triumphs, they all had oversized tanks. A lot of guys on the forum don't cater to big tanks because they are weight conscious. MB engines are low HP so every pound of weight effects performance. My thought is, if you like it and your other components fit, that's what's important. In my case, I didn't have a clue what is was going to look like until I threw it all together. Finally, sometimes you can understate size with your paint scheme. There are lots of guys on here who know a lot more about that than me. Hopefully, they'll chime in. Good luck.

Thanks Deathproof, like your logo. Thanks to you too, Cat42. Not quite sure what you mean by props, but I'll take it as a good thing. Am thinking about some major changes to add gearing. The bike originally came with 7-speed derailer. I'm thinking torque converter or CVT. Hey, Birdmann, how's your project coming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back