old schwinn corvette

hi guys just got this from a friend , and trying to figure out what year it is . he says its a 1942 corvette but i dont think so. i checked out the vitage website and got nothing so far so im going to post some pics so see if anybody knows something.. im going to mount and engine in it . my next project s# JO66498 larry ca thanks again !!!

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 1,190
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 814
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 567
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 589
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 676
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 616
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 670
Well it's a midweight schwinn so the oldest it could be is the mid 50's Do a google search for Schwinn serial #'s and you should come up with a couple of sites that have the Serial# to Year of manufacture listings.

ocscully

maybe a 62 ,the star burst badge is a give-a-way to it's age.Corvettes came out in 55 but those before 58 had the script"schwinn" not the roller-ball type name on the top bar.
You might want to check the price before you add a motor or scratch the paint---you might be supprised at what you could trade for---sam

thanks guys i googles the s# and found it it says that the left drop out use this list and there it was 1953 3/16 to 3/18 now thats according to to this left drop out list but it looks more like the photo acender posted . larry ca

H60001 - H99999
(J00001 - J99999) s# JO66498 interesting because the are 7 letters instead of 6
A00001 - A99999
B00001 - B99999
C00001 - C99999
D00001 - D2026

Last edited by a moderator:
well after some closer examination the badge is epoxyed on so i suspect that some other parts as well like the chaingaurd . maybe he got those parts at some swap meet trying to make it original again . but the s# is there on the left drop out also it looks like it had the front rack at one time larry ca

Classic cruzer design. They really can't improve on it.

She's a keeper. Happy times for you! not the bike

Very nice.

A

Check out thecabe.com or nostalgic.net. If the Fenders are original it's a 62 or newer.

ok this is what i think so far. the seat is not original nor are the fenders and badge. it doesnt have a stormy archer rear hub 3 speed . its says its a approved by schwinn and its from austria that is stamped in the hub, so i dont know if this is a stormy archer hub or not it is a 3 speed . the frame s# are on the left dropout . so according to the chicargo list of s# stamped on the left drop out it appears to be a 1953 frame . so i believe somebody got all these extra parts from a bike swap meet and try to make it back to stock . the fenders appear to be from the 60's because of the teardrop tail light the badge was epoxed on because there is still some that oozzed out after they put it on so its evedent that it was and addon badge the seat on the originals im assuming to be black and white not red and white the handle bars appear to be original with the schwinn 3s peed shifter and it looks like at one time it had a front rack and light but those are missing now . so i think this is what i got on my hands from the research and you guys help so all in all i got my self a mutt haha !!!! larry ca

Back