OMG!!! Just got ran over!!

i got flying by and ally luckly alls they did was bend the petal all the way to the frame i did learn something that turns out i can fly a good 25 feet and only have a realy sore butt

Back country roads, coming to an intersection, and a pickup truck w/ cattle trailer is stopped, probably doing the cell phone dealio, taking up the whole left hand side of the road, plus a little bit of center of the road at the same time.

Plenty of room to get by, but as I ease to the stop sign, I notice a damn Cadillac in my mirror, RIGHT ON MY ASS, tire on the shoulder. WTF! :eek:

Most any other intersection I might of had a shoulder, but in my "reaction" I ended up in a 4 foot deep culvert. Kept on my feet however, just kinda held on to the handlebars and rassled it out, cussing the Cadillac the whole times. I think the Caddy was a reddish mauve.

The truck driver hollers my way "that old man didnt even see you until your helmet flew off!"

My only "other" incident involved another Cadillac, a purplish color.

You know how you are on a curvish state road, with a two-three foot shoulder, and traffic backs up. Well, this Cadillac is the only one behind me, and I'm headed into a long downhill straightaway, gaining speed, if he wants to pass he can.

NO cars coming, I'm gaining speed, and the Cadillac still hangs back.

FINALLY he passes me, right as I'm topping out at 33-35 mph. AND THE MF MAKES A RIGHT HAND TURN INTO A DRIVEWAY. He coulda waited seconds longer, not even bothered me by passing/turning. Instead, his fat purple ass is taking up the shoulder I'm using.

In the next shoppers guide ad I ran, I thanked the county drivers for their courtesy, "EXCEPT FOR TAG #25F-165549, a Purple Cadillac near Simcoe, who drives like an idiot".

Weeks later at a diner I sometimes stop at in Simcoe, (about 15 miles away) the diner's owner said my ad caught a lot of attention, and the Cadillac owner has been properly alerted.

frnt rim

Tom I got your email, I didn't have any problems posting the pics, your forum just lacked an attachment button. I usually run my pics through the jpeg optimizer when posting thumbs in other forums. Glad you got the upload button it makes things a lot easier without me having to host them.
65_rm_2.jpg

I'm brand new to the forum, just joined today, and after reading this topic I just have to put in my $.02. I've been riding my GEBE outfit for close to three years and it was just this summer that I had my first close call- very much like Bamabikeguy's experience with the Caddy. Same deal- I was cruising along on the shoulder when an SUV driven by a teenager passed me, foot in the carburetor, then suddenly swerved right in front of me to turn into a drive. It was pure reflex that squeezed the brakes, and I came WAY close to running right into him. Fact is, I've got a disc on the front and I swear it saved my butt. Anyway, I followed him into the parking lot and as calmly as possible asked him if he was trying to kill me. His reply:" I thought there was plenty of room". There was nothing else to do but go on my way, pissed as hell.

I have noticed that there is something about driving a car on a road behind a bicycle that sparks the impulse to pass, pass, pass! It doesn't matter if the speed limit is twentyfive and I'm going thirtyfive, it seems that no automobile driver can tolerate not passing me. It must be that the assumption is, if it's a bike, no matter how fast it's going, it's going too slow to stay behind it. Strange.

I have taken steps to make sure that drivers behind notice me. From the first I have used a dayglo flag on the bike, and it works pretty well. But nothing is as effective as the Dinotte red LED tailight mounted on my helmet: 140 lumens flashing like a highway patrol car, the cars slow down and do their best to take the opposite lane to pass. Unbelievable! I've been using this light for a couple of months now, and it works great at night and during the day. Helps to relax the anal sphincter.

I just stumbled onto this forum and am very happy to have found it. After almost three years, finally some like-minded riders! I'm always asking Dennis at GEBE to connect me with some of his other customers, but it never happens. He did describe some fellow from Alabama who rides a 25cc GEBE on LONG trips, and my bet is he's on this forum. It's a pleasure reading your posts, Bamabikeguy.

I am presently riding a "comfort" bike with a 47cc Tanaka, gobs of power but only about 70% of the mpg I got with the 40cc. I've got a basket on the front and pull a trailer when I'm hauling heavy stuff. My biggest gripe is the noise. Any of these two strokes is too loud for me, and I ALWAYS wear earplugs. I'm still searching for the posts for flatproof tires on this forum. I've been using Specialized Armadillo tires and have had no flats yet. I do dread when that happens because with the fenders and everything else bolted to this bike, it will take 2 hours to fix!

I'm starting to ramble. Better stop now.

Jim

hi, osalsa & welcome 8)

yup, "right-turners" are the bane of biking, for sure, i lost two rear wheels to them in florida, neither one of them would re-imburse me, & the cops wouldn't give me a substantial enuff report to be able to sue :devilish:

i've tried using airless tires on my bike (see my picture gallery)...i have to say that they've performed very nicely, but they are low profile & i was losing a lot of top-end speed. under the proper application/fit, they would be the way to go, 100 miles on them and no signs of undue wear or stress.

now i'm rambling...

augidog 8)

I always assume that people are going to turn right into me, and do my best to be prepared. I also always shout obscenities at drivers that give me close calls.

OSALA welcome to the site if you check out the "other sites" you will find sites some of us are on......ask Augie about those tires he has a pr. and seems to love them. and welcome to the insane 2 wheel ad :LOL: :LOL:

diction :)

Cookie

i got hit yesterday. some guy did a u turn right infront of me out of a parking lot into another lot jumping the curb and everything, i thought he was going to keep going down the street but side swiped me right when i got along side of him. got me pretty good i was going about 30 when it happened my arm snagged under his passenger side mirror ripping it off, cutting and brusing my arm pretty bad. my clutch lever hit the door smashing it against my fingers and snapping off over my smallest. i hit hard enough to fly over the bars hitting my thighs on them and getting my front wheel stuck in the wheel well of his car throwing me into the parking lot. i got alot of cuts and bruises, but i got up and told the guy he was a dickhead, he was pretty freaked out but i told him i was good i just need a new wheel and he payed for it even tho i can get it fixed for free. my bike seems to be fine and still runs. i wish the guy would of had more then 37 bucks, but whatever next time ill make sure its someone drivin a more expensive car.

MAD!!!!

you should have gotten his insurance info at least and he is more than a Dickhead!! you are going to hurt the next few days though .......glad u r ok next time kick the hell out of his car!!! and go after raising his insurance there is no reason for some one to drive like that !!!!!!

Cookie

Back