?? on making your bike legal

Discussion in 'Laws, Legislation & Emissions' started by forgetmenot, Feb 27, 2011.

  1. forgetmenot

    forgetmenot New Member

    so lets say i just get insurance and plate my bike and register it in michigan. will this cover all 48 states like it would a car? i drive a semi truck and want to be legal about it

  2. Stan4d

    Stan4d New Member

    If you are passing through and observe trafic laws it should not be a problem. I believe it is similar to your drivers liscense being recognized in another state. It would be best to check local laws though, since you really do not want to return for a courtdate. Here are some links to MI law threads: http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=6829&highlight=michigan
    But be forewarned.....there are very few lawyers on this site, You should double check everything with your local DMV.
  3. professor

    professor Active Member

    If it were me- headlight / tail light (on allways like motorcycle) stoplight and helmet.
    With a plated bike you should be golden. That is what I have.
  4. MikeJ

    MikeJ Member

    Hi Forgetmenot -

    Welcome to the forum. It seems the Professor and I are more vocal about using common sense to follow laws of the road more than others. Most everyone else are less vocal, but usually agree to our advice.

    I am a strong advocate of wearing a real DOT-approved MOTORCYCLE helmet, leather gloves, a bright yellow cyclist jacket, long pants, and full coverage shoes. I also like lots of lights and reflectors. Stay slightly under the speed limit at all times, make full stops at stop signs and red lights, and watch out for the arrogant "cagers" (aka, dumb drivers; they are a threat to all two-wheel riders). I have ridden over 1,200 miles in towns and on open 2-lane highways (had a few close calls to accidents), carried on conversations with police officers while on my bike (engine off), and have been seen numerous times by all levels of law officers. My observation: Dress and ride smart and do not give them a reason to stop you, and they will probably leave you alone. (And, by the way, my bike is plainly not plated by the state.) As a professional truck driver, some bike builders should listen to you detail the importance of following traffic laws. Read the stories of others on this forum and get all kinds of ideas for builds!

    PS : I am currently pursuing getting my latest build plated by state government.

    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  5. Stan4d

    Stan4d New Member

    Mike J has a point. Once upon a time a member suggested this new section: Safety First

    It is a good place to start for safety.
  6. forgetmenot

    forgetmenot New Member

    hi guys
    first off i would like to say thanks for all the help. being a truck driver i like to play it extra safe, i see alot go wrong on the road every day, also just because u dont have to do something does not mean u should not do it. i would get me a helmet, but thats a good idea on geting a dot brain bucket. thanks for that tip mike. also mike what did u have to do to get a plate for your mb? professor are there any kits to wire a bike up that u know of?
  7. katoomer

    katoomer New Member

    Hello there, Just chiming in here. I been hanging my motorized bike on the back of a semi for 20 years. I been stopped too on the bike. If you are an adult and are not cutting up there should be no problems. But keep reading the legal column for the certain towns and other areas where there are "enforcement campaigns".

    Hey maybe I'll pm you. I been all over the usa on bike and semi. When I get home I'll post a picture of my motor bike at Niagra Falls. I took it right to the look out. I drove it from the Buffalo truck stop and found some nice trail taking the scenic route there. I've had my bike right to the fence at the white house. I've cruised NYC. Out west in the deserts. We got it made where we can go !
  8. Stan4d

    Stan4d New Member

  9. MikeJ

    MikeJ Member

    Hi Forgetmenot -

    Question: "also mike what did u have to do to get a plate for your mb?"

    Answer: I am in the process. I am residing in New Mexico right now. The government is forward-thinking enough to assign a VIN to a new build that did not exist before (ie, no frame VIN already exists). I have to fill out a form requesting a state-assigned VIN. (I have to include a list of parts and pieces and engine bills-of-sale with the form, as well as an affidavit that a VIN for this new build never existed before.) A second form that is available through a state-run web site has a checklist for a custom-built motorcycle (I am using this checklist because my engine is 79 cc displacement. Under displacement of 50 cc, no paperwork nor registration nor licensing is required.) The form has a checklist for: two headlights, a loud horn, a muffler of some kind (not necessarily effective), a brake light, and more, but electric turn signals are NOT a requirement. Because my engine is over 49 cc, I want to get it registered as a motorcycle. Passing all this will get me a plate. Research your state's DOT site; your mileage may vary.

    For a motorcycle license, completing formal motorcycle-handling training by a state-recognized training school (can cost up to $300; probably will) AND passing a relatively simple written exam are necessary. For motorcycle insurance, the state-assigned VIN will be needed.

    Another state, Colorado, makes it much more difficult than necessary to get a VIN for a new, custom build motorcycle. I looked into it only one time; the paperwork and state police inspection and proof-of-insurance and more red tape just convinced me to ride conservatively and well dressed, if not legally.

    If I had a 49 cc engine, I would not have bothered in either state. And I would be legal.

    Getting insurance for a vehicle without a VIN may be possible; but someone else here will have to point you how to do that. Mopeds, scooters, etc, have VINs; dealers fill out the forms at time of sale. I am guessing that insurance companies just cannot handle non-VIN'd motorized bicycles. My experience is that Geico, USAA, Farmers, and Allstate want nothing to do with non-VIN'd vehicles.

    If I did not need pulling power, I would have stayed with a 49 CC engine and saved myself a lot of aggravation and effort.

    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  10. forgetmenot

    forgetmenot New Member

    Hi mike
    thanks for the info,but i have a new question for u now lol.
    when u get your vin, what do u do with it? engrave it on your mb somewhere?

    For katoomer
    u just need to stop talking!! all this talking about seeing Niagra Falls, White House, is getting me to excited on making my mb lol.
    u say u hang it on the back of your semi? i dont think that would work for me cause i pull a refer 100% of the time
  11. MikeJ

    MikeJ Member

    Hi Forgetmenot -

    I should be more realistic... "If And When" I get a VIN, get a plate, pass the hands-on riding test, get a license, and get insurance.... That's when I will stamp the VIN into a metal blank military dog tag, bend it to the curvature of the seat tube and rivet it in place. At least those are my plans. We will see; one step at a time.....

    And by the way, there is a national Bicycle Registration database available. It might cost a couple of dollars to register your bike. Enter your bicycle's serial number (at the six-o'clock position of your bike's bottom bracket) into the database. If your bike becomes lost, police can use this database to track it back to its owner.

    Something else I plan on doing: use a permanent felt tip marker and print my telephone number onto my bike frame in several obvious places. Hopefully that will help return my bike if it gets lost or the security cables get cut and the bike is stolen. (A good motorized bike is a big time and money investment; I want to keep my around for a while!)

  12. MikeJ

    MikeJ Member

    Hi Guys -

    It looks like my plans will not happen. No VIN, no plates, etc. It was a grand scheme, but impractical. New Mexico will not allow me to attach a motorcycle endorsement to my current Colorado drivers license (I am filling a temporary position in New Mexico). Colorado has no way to provide a VIN for a one-off, not-from-the-factory motorcycle build. Also, I can't take the time off of work to run around to meet the excessive rules that Colorado lawmakers have written for unique vehicles and production motorcycles.

    My continuing strategy? Dress like a serious rider, put lots of visibility on the bike, and obey all road laws that all cagers are expected to follow. It has worked for over 1200 miles....

  13. Tanaka40

    Tanaka40 Member

    folding bike needed

    If you pull a refer, then get a "paratrooper" folding bike with a rack mounted system like GEBE and put in the cab with you. :idea:
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2011