One of a kind 4 stroke

He definitely uses some different terminology than anything I've ever heard on the floor but I wouldn't say he isn't a machinist, that just may be the words they use in his area(Fall River, MA?). Heck, just different areas of the shop people use different words. Case in point: Screw-machine(automatic-lathe) guys call cut-off blades "cut-offs" while tool-room lathe guys call them "separators." So for instance he refers to a bolt as a "lug" I've only ever used that when referring to the lugs on a car. He also says "sprocket" which I would say gear on the floor or chainring in the bike world.

It's also very possible he's dumbing-down what he's saying because I do the same thing when I'm talking to someone who's not a machinist or mechanic by trade. If I'm trying to explain something to you, I try not to have to divert your focus by also having to explain every word I'm using.

Regardless, it's a nice clean setup, just overly complicated. If he never once saw another motorized bike and never knew there was a much easier way to do what he did, that's one heck of a job because most likely it was all engineered in his head, no blueprints, no R&D, just pure inspiration and execution and I commend him for that. Plenty of times I've gotten so deep into making something that I wasn't about to throw it all away once I realized I was making it overly complicated.

Nice work, but I fail to understand his overly complicated split power train. Why?

As we all know, it is quite possible to run the power and the pedal drive train through the same primary drive loop. If he wants the gearing capability, all I can say is "The best of luck to you!", with two dérailleurs on the power loop and a third on the pedal loop.

Last edited by a moderator:
He said he's got 5,000 miles on it without any issues (a few bolts loosening at first). Assuming that's accurate, overly complicated or not, that's proof the thing works well.

As for "this kit would work better" or "parts from these people would be easier", what about that video makes anyone think he is even aware of these vendors? It is clear to me that he started from a clean sheet and when he built it, may not have even been aware of the motorized bicycle cottage industry. What seems obvious to someone who spends a lot of time here is not so obvious to a guy who just has a bike, an engine and a vision.

I say- good work- keep it up.

I agree with everything you've said, HM.

I'll chalk it up to a difference in approaches, I guess. When I started getting interested in tadpole trikes, and power assist for one, I started researching everything I could find about both topics, which led me here (and lots of other places).

I never could see any purpose in re-inventing fire, when I could buy a Bic lighter.

That's assuming he's actually got 5000 miles on it. I'd think there'd at least be a
bit of dirt & grime, or a few scratches on it somewhere. For me 1/2 the fun of
MBs is building one's own version, but his machine is somehow just a little too
clean. Still a truly amazing build though.

Last edited:
Overdone 4 stroke

I'm kinda with rawly here. Not a scratch on it. And if the guy is such a perfectionist, Why does his front yard look like a jungle? Maybe he spent every minute on the bike and didn't have time to mow his lawn.
Just an observation.
Big Red.

Some clever home engineering I'd say, and the guy has further developed it with another bike, a 50cc belt drive. That YT channel has some pretty interesting stuff on it, to say the least, lol.

I'd like to see that, Richard; I'm workin' on a homebilt belt drive myself. How
do I find it?
The thing is, I don't have nor can I afford a lathe, bandsaw, shaper, etc. I'm
pretty much limited to what I can find in a hardware or thrift store.(That and
good garage sale junk.)
Right now, the bike I'm building on is a 3 spd. ladies Huffy never ridden outa
a dry storage that I got for $15. It's late 70s back when bikes were still made
in the USA from American steel.
I've taken an old channel friction drive, turned it around 180 degrees, and
stuck a pulley out the side.( see pic)
It's progressed considerable since I pictured this mockup.
The thing I like most about this guy's build is the muffler setup. It's genius!
Here I've spent all this time studying stealth type reciprocating disc mufflers,
and he has boiled the whole technology down to a drink bottle hanging on springs.
As for the rest of his build, it's far too complex for my liking. I'm strictly a "keep
it simple,stupid." kinda guy.:whistle:

Attachments

• P1010187.JPG
    P1010187.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
Back