One Tough GEBE Full-Suspension

beach cruzin's mongoose/gebe/tanaka-40 has so many miles on it, we quit counting at 12,000, or maybe it was 14,000. i mean it, we really have no idea, this thing won't quit...and he ain't nice to it neither, except when it comes to maintenance. this is his only & full-time transportation, and he takes it seriously.

velocity wheels, coaster/drum. super-duper walbro 15mm carby off a chainsaw & an HP intake. "open" exhaust canister, the catalyst is long-gone, and still fairly quiet. overall, it rolls & runs pretty doggone good...30-33mph.

it's all rainy here right now, and we'd been planning a much-needed revamping/upgrade anyway, today was the day.

tank/battery bracket, new lighting "harness"...it took all day, because we wanted it to...shane finished the lighting while keve & i played darts...by that time it was dark so we could watch him scoot off all lit up...we did a pretty good job and had a pretty good time to boot, all safe at home :cool:

Attachments

• MVC-015F.JPG
    MVC-015F.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 756
  • MVC-016F.JPG
    MVC-016F.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 500
  • Mvc-014f.jpg
    Mvc-014f.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 445
  • MVC-017F.JPG
    MVC-017F.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 443
  • MVC-018F.JPG
    MVC-018F.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 445
  • MVC-019F.JPG
    MVC-019F.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 453
  • MVC-020F.JPG
    MVC-020F.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 432
  • MVC-021F.JPG
    MVC-021F.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 584
  • MVC-001Fa.JPG
    MVC-001Fa.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 453
  • MVC-aa001F.JPG
    MVC-aa001F.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 697
now this is what i'm talking about! great upgrades on that thing! my full suspension GEBE is also now my main source of transportation. once you've ridden on a full suspension motorized bike there is no going back to hardtails or nonsuspensioned bikes. my poor Staton Mitsubishi TLE43 has been feeling neglected for several weeks now. 12000 miles and counting is awesome! makes me have a little more confidence in my older GEBE now.

and we'd been planning a much-needed revamping/upgrade anyway, today was the day.

well put bro it has been needed! i've had the tank laying around for almost a year now and have been lightless since my last battery gave up the ghost about a month ago. and now with the days geting shorter and all of added cagers around here due the clam tides lights real important to keep from becoming a GEBE pancake out there:whistle:
yup she is on rockin bike if i do say so myself a nice combo of components and that bullet proof tanaka:devilish:
I wud like to thank you "AugiDog" for always being there to help and never afraid to take on a project which is what helped make my ride the rock solid bike it is " if we can think we can build" and thats awesome!!

always a blast, buddy, just like tonite...

cpuaid, it's been fun to work with a full-suspension & the "limitations", thanks for the comments. actually we've done a couple...'cruzin's & quay's are a matching set now.

finished off with bell-brand (cheng shin) 1.95 kevlar MTB tires, fenders, and windshield...

we know he took the long way home :whistle:

Attachments

• Mvc-015f.jpg
    Mvc-015f.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 429
and we'd been planning a much-needed revamping/upgrade anyway, today was the day.

well put bro it has been needed! i've had the tank laying around for almost a year now and have been lightless since my last battery gave up the ghost about a month ago. and now with the days geting shorter and all of added cagers around here due the clam tides lights real important to keep from becoming a GEBE pancake out there:whistle:
yup she is on rockin bike if i do say so myself a nice combo of components and that bullet proof tanaka:devilish:
I wud like to thank you "AugiDog" for always being there to help and never afraid to take on a project which is what helped make my ride the rock solid bike it is " if we can think we can build" and thats awesome!!

Congratulations, and thanks for the inspiration. About three or so years ago I bought the same model Mongoose you have. The poor thing has been through heck (you know what I mean:devilish:) since then. It has been everything from an electric pusher to now a home brew version of the Gebe system. I don't know how many miles total it has on it, but the home brew system has over 8000 miles. Well, the last couple of weeks, it has been giving me a little trouble, nothing major, just irksome things. I was shopping for a new bike to build up until I saw your thread including the mileage. Well, I spent most of the day fluffing her up again....you know, new tire, lube and adjust cables, remove the vise grips and weld up the broken spot in the rack....stuff like that. It runs like new and looks good for another 8000 miles. Gotta say, that full suspension goose is one tough bike. Why is it that the dependable stuff always gets neglected like that????:rolleyes:

Anyway, good luck, and happy riding.

Denny

thanks, ibdennyak glad you got the inspiration to knock the cobwebs of her. i love my goose alright light weight an tough as nails:D

bump

took a ride up to leadbetter point the other day took a few more tough pic's man i love this bike!!!

Attachments

• 11-12-09_150801.jpg
    11-12-09_150801.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 347
  • 11-12-09_150949.jpg
    11-12-09_150949.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 372
  • 11-12-09_151030.jpg
    11-12-09_151030.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 329
  • 11-12-09_145719.jpg
    11-12-09_145719.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 392
man i really envy you guys up there in WA. that bike looks like it will be able to go almost anywhere! i really need to think about doing a larger fuel tank upgrade but my little 25cc just barely sips the little tank i have on it now. Great pics!!!!

tough as nails is right. Your ride made me jealous. Here it is about 30, wind, and snow and ICE. Went to Freddies to get some grub. Yep, laid her down, and just after fluffing her up too yet. Got up, picked up the bike, no new scratches :cool: and still running. Operator....couple bruises, and sore ankle....about normal. :D Gotta stay off the front brake on black ice

Last summer I did a gig as engineer on a fishing boat. Engineer....that's the guy who does everything the skipper doesn't want to, and anything that is wrong is his fault. :D Anyway, we went to Haines for a couple openings, so I put the bike on the deck. Got to Haines and found out where Alaskavan works. Cruised up to the pumps and this guy comes out and says fillerup sir? I said yup. Came to about $1.03. I reached for my wallet and he said, that's on the house Denny. :cool: Went for a couple short rides with him. Unfortunately he was so busy with social obligations we didn't get to visit as much as I would have liked, but I did see *the institute* and attend the fair. Also rode his tadpole. Great guy, and awesome trike.

Last spring I rode up to the local Wallyworld, and saw this overloaded bike in front of the door. Turns out it was a goose same as ours. Well, kinda the same. He had a rack on the front, rack on the back, and a rack on the back rack carrying his guitar. Owner was a younger guy (everybody is younger than me :cry:) and his name was Johnny. Called himself the troubadour. Hails from Oregon and has traveled 31 states at that time. Well his bike was the most overloaded thing I have ever see. He said ready to ride it weighs about 480 pounds. And this is with no motor. :cry: He said the bike has been pretty much trouble free other than tires and normal stuff. Now that's a tough bike.

Denny

This thread sure brings back some good memories :cool:. I'm proud to say that I've ridden BeachCruizin's motorized Mongoose (kept looking for a trail to try it off-road :devilish:). Also rode Denny's "home brew". Both excellent rides. (Glad to hear you made it through the season Denny). Also glad to hear that Quay is riding a reliable bike. I still get goosebumps thinking about looking over and watching that old (Huffy?) frame separating as we pulled up to a stop sign during that Rally I attended:cry:.

Back