Only starts with choke open

Eric1970s

Local time
10:41 AM
I'm attempting to break in my motor. I just replaced a lost woodruff key. But, now it wont start with the choke closed. When I open the choke fully it starts but it is bogged down badly and requires full throttle to move the bike while pedaling.

So far I have checked for leaks at the carburetor, intake manifold, exhaust flange, top and bottom head gaskets, adjusted the idle screw, and adjusted the spark plug gap.

seen them run like that when slide is in carb upside down

So richer worked. I believe its richer because I put the circlip one notch lower on the needle which lets more fuel in I believe. This is my first time adjusting this. The bike idles great now. But I still have no power when I pull the throttle back.

I went outside and tried lean and the motor wont idle and still no power. Also I noticed there is no change in how the motor runs no matter how wide I make the spark plug gap.

usually carbs are too rich - going richer on yours seems to help, so there may be something wrong in the bowl (either float height or bad main jet) or there is something wrong with air flow (leaky head gasket or clogged muffler)

might also be low compression

One of the things I usually do when I have carb troubles is to just strangle the damn thing to death. Get it running, and with the clutch in, and the air cleaner off, get it to rev as high as you can, then cover the carburetor intake with your thumb, or something, so it pulls a huge vacuum as it dies out from lack of air. Hopefully, that sucks anything that is clogged in there out. You'd be surprised how often that actually works.

Back