Only thing left! The Chain!

M

mrsaxman99

So I popped the one clip off...so I got the chain in two....now I can't figure out how to break a section of chain off to re-connect the clip to make it the right length...can I get some help?

you need a chain breaker. we have a discussion going somewhere in technical help about chain. that may answer some of your questions. :)

If you don't have a chain break you can carefully use a grinder and grind down the end of the chain pins where you want to take it apart, then the side will come off. The key word here is "carefully". I've been doing it like this for years.

Chain

That is how I got my chain lengthened. I used a 4 1/2" grinder, and I wasn't careful really I just grinded both the ends of the pin off and tore the chain apart. A dremmel would probably work good. Could probably even use a file if not grinder.

how's your progress, mrsaxman99?

...a decent chaintool is $3.50 and cuts a chain in about 30 seconds...'nuff sed 8)

Chain

Hey make sure that horse shoe thing on the master link is facing the open end the opposit way the chain turns. My chain clip thing flipped out because I had it on backward. Cought on my tire or sprocket cover or something.

Good advice guys...thanks a bunch!

I should be finishing up today! It's taken so long because of wayyy too much work :(

Too much work

Yaaaa, well wait untill you are done. You will love it. I can't get off of mine. Don't forget to brake it in.

Back