Opinions about wheels

Whether it is a reasonable choice depends on your reasoning. :coffee::unsure:

You get DT proper spokes which are great. The hub is a very cheap Chinese generic, and I think it has open bearings but I can't seem to get a picture other than the thumbnail. I didn't look into the rim. I wouldn't expect wonders. They spent the money on the spokes, and that's okay. Obviously you can get a better new wheel with more money. I would look for a used but better spec mountain bike wheel or wheelset if it's okay to not have any ability to use rim brakes.
You must use the proper Shimano enclosed cam quick release skewers with your disc brake and quick release hub, and you must have a "lawyer lip" or some way to make sure the axle can never be pushed out of the dropouts by reaction during heavy braking.

Walmart is the wrong place to look for quality bikes or parts.

Two out of the three parts of the wheel are pretty decent (maybe, can't see too much about the rim but Weinmann used to be decent), but it's let down by the Chinese hub. You might get by with it, but is it something you want to gamble on? Spend a little more here:
https://www.eddys.com/product/quality-wheels-sram-406-6-bolt-sun-sr25-26-inch-front-340821-1.htm

Or find a good bike shop locally. They're usually pretty knowledgeable and helpful (the good ones are anyway) and really geek out when they see you ride up on an MB.

I think double walled rims are stronger but you only need them for the drive wheel. For the front wheel it don't really matter, all you need one with a disc brake hub and also wide rims are best so you can put on fatter tires and get more traction.

Walmart is the wrong place to look for quality bikes or parts.

Two out of the three parts of the wheel are pretty decent (maybe, can't see too much about the rim but Weinmann used to be decent), but it's let down by the Chinese hub. You might get by with it, but is it something you want to gamble on? Spend a little more here:
https://www.eddys.com/product/quality-wheels-sram-406-6-bolt-sun-sr25-26-inch-front-340821-1.htm

Or find a good bike shop locally. They're usually pretty knowledgeable and helpful (the good ones are anyway) and really geek out when they see you ride up on an MB.

:LOL: I knew I would get crap about Wally World. I was searching a lot of sites and that was easy to locate- here is another that is similar/same
How about that?

You've still got the no-name hub, but it's a start.

One thing about bike wheels is they tend to size them by the tire they're meant for. 26x1.5 isn't nearly 1.5" wide, probably 5/8" - 3/4" wide. Really aggravating when you're shopping for wide rims.

That looks like exactly the same wheel as the one from Walmart. The proper DT spokes plus whatever rim and hub that could be purchased with the money left over. Its a reasonable strategy for stretching the budget (if buying used wheels didn't exist as a strategy).

What specifically are you looking for in a front wheel? What type of brakes do you have? What exact size dropouts do you have? What size tyres would be best for you and fit your frame and fork?
Have you checked fleabay for used midrange quality 26" MTB wheels?

Last edited:
First off- thank you all 👍🏻

OldBusted- I didn’t realize that about wheels- thanks

Furry- starting with tyres- 26x2.125 is stock size and looks fine. Brakes now- none. Just the coaster rear. I’m looking to a sturdy wheel and disc brakes in the front. Hopefully the pic helps

This has been learning a new language- I have hobbies ranging from building boutique tube amplifiers and custom guitars, to pizza ovens, teardrop trailers, and home distillery- I have the capacity to conquer this, just need more education.

Attachments

• 533DF9F8-8219-4B9B-B7B3-814AFDC4C82F.jpeg
    533DF9F8-8219-4B9B-B7B3-814AFDC4C82F.jpeg
    329.8 KB · Views: 233
  • 484A3176-FA2F-456E-996A-4CC7C4EB8158.jpeg
    484A3176-FA2F-456E-996A-4CC7C4EB8158.jpeg
    192.2 KB · Views: 207
Back