Opinions about wheels

We've been looking at quick release wheels but that's not what's in the picture.. šŸ˜°šŸ˜©
Okay so you've got solid threaded axle on your wheel... and some type of shaped washer to secure the axle inside your weird dropout? I suppose a QR hub would still work, if the threaded axle is 9mm so the washers will fit. If the washers are for a 9.6mm axle then it'll be a complete sloppy pain to put the wheel in straight and centred and then get it to stay there under braking and impacts enough to never be out of alignment with the disc brake.
The parts need to be a correct fit and although the proper Shimano QR skewers have plenty of strength to hold the wheels and the nubs on the hubs are simply locators for setting up the bike, those locators really need to make it easy not hard to get the wheel hub in straight and centred.

I'm only guessing because you did not say anything about the way your axle is mounted in the fork, or say the measurements of parts, or what parts you have like this shim-washer I've just assumed the existence of because of the shape of the dropout.
The QR wheels are 9mm, not 10mm or 9.6mm. This really matters if you're going to do it up with a disc brake and a 2-stroke motor. How wide is that hole in your fork, and the other hole in the presumed shim, and the axle? šŸ˜Æ

You can probably use a 24" wheel in the front too. It'll probably make the handling better. Buying a brand new wheel in 24" with a disc brake and brand name stainless spokes with about fifty Ā£/$/ā‚¬ is probably not even possible though.
I would be looking for something that originally cost two or three or four times more than the wheels you're looking at. And looking into the shim situation.

We've been looking at quick release wheels but that's not what's in the picture.. šŸ˜°šŸ˜©
Okay so you've got solid threaded axle on your wheel... and some type of shaped washer to secure the axle inside your weird dropout? I suppose a QR hub would still work, if the threaded axle is 9mm so the washers will fit. If the washers are for a 9.6mm axle then it'll be a complete sloppy pain to put the wheel in straight and centred and then get it to stay there under braking and impacts enough to never be out of alignment with the disc brake.
The parts need to be a correct fit and although the proper Shimano QR skewers have plenty of strength to hold the wheels and the nubs on the hubs are simply locators for setting up the bike, those locators really need to make it easy not hard to get the wheel hub in straight and centred.

I'm only guessing because you did not say anything about the way your axle is mounted in the fork, or say the measurements of parts, or what parts you have like this shim-washer I've just assumed the existence of because of the shape of the dropout.
The QR wheels are 9mm, not 10mm or 9.6mm. This really matters if you're going to do it up with a disc brake and a 2-stroke motor. How wide is that hole in your fork, and the other hole in the presumed shim, and the axle? šŸ˜Æ

You can probably use a 24" wheel in the front too. It'll probably make the handling better. Buying a brand new wheel in 24" with a disc brake and brand name stainless spokes with about fifty Ā£/$/ā‚¬ is probably not even possible though.
I would be looking for something that originally cost two or three or four times more than the wheels you're looking at. And looking into the shim situation.
Ok- yes itā€™s a threaded axle- sorry for the lack of info. Yes there is a stepped washer to help retain the axle (is this what you mean by shim) The ā€˜holeā€™ in the dropout is 13mm (1/2 inch) the avle is 10mm (3/8 inch) And they are not weird šŸ¤Ŗ

I really hesitate to go 24ā€ on the front- it already looks a bit small. May go 29šŸ¤”
And it will be a 4stroke.

Attachments

• 7786518E-9F81-42D2-883E-D4F6A7D1C3A8.jpeg
    7786518E-9F81-42D2-883E-D4F6A7D1C3A8.jpeg
    165.5 KB · Views: 212
Update- I bought a used hub, disc brake, adapter combo- and replacement spokes, for the bike in my avatar. I wanted to get a little experiential knowledge. laced up my rim and put it all on the bike. "building" the wheel was much more enjoyable than I feared and it seems to work well. With the experience I'm now thinking (again) of purchasing a sturmey archer drum hub and heavy spokes and using my current rim. I think that will be less headache in the long run. And, since its a chopper for casual cruising, I think the drum will be sufficient.

all of this might be moot if I find a deal I can't pass at the local swap meet- https://www.sdvelodrome.com/swapmeet - I'm told its a great chance to get a deal.

I really like the Sturmey-Archer drum. Works well and looks great. I have a disc on my rear wheel.

And yes, there's something really satisfying about wheel building.

Back