OPTIMIZE- Tips for the first time builder...and more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OPTIMIZE FOR YOUR APPLICATION- set-up, tips, updated AGA

Bikeguy Joe said:
"Ride defensively", because the only drivers that will see you are the ones you DON'T want to see you- aka "da fuzz".
There's one more point I should put out there Joe and that is other cars in a 2 lane road don't always see you "the cyclist"
Back in 1979, I was riding my puch 2 stroke moped in Palo Alto california, when a car hit and ran me into a parked truck parked on the side of the road! I was cruisin at 35 miles an hour seen the truck up ahead turned my right side into the tail gate and flipped into on comming traffic. The guy ran and was never caught.
The moral of the story is you gotta always watch your surroundings!
Thanks for the good info you all have to say, and have a safe happy day... :D

Starting out right!

Thank you for the info. I am grateful for the insite to starting out with the best set up I can put toghter. I will be driving in the early am to work and need to be able to depend on the engine to work. Great info here.
Deerscrossing

Hot Rodding

Great tips there, Thanks for posting all that. I must say though that ignoring the potential of these fabulous little engines would be a real shame... The attempt to gain more performance from these engines is part of what draws some people to them.
"Stock is a good starting point"

Thanks for the compliments! Yes, these engines can be hot rodded, but they won't take much...that is the faster you go, the shorter you'll go fast!

They are easy to work on though. :)

Good post. I like the part about, "If you like the way things work, wear a helmet." :)

The best hot rodding is done by improving what should have been done at the factory. Several things I might consider doing if I ever run a Chinese motor.

The head pipe to port match is a crime. The pipe should follow the contor of the port and be just a tad larger, maybe 1/16" around.
The intake port match should be just the opposite, the manifold should follow the contor of the port but be 1/16"~1/8" smaller. This drop off step helps gasoline that has wetted the manifold and traveling slowly in the boundry layer of air to break up and atomize just before it enters the cylinder. This bit of fuel might account for maybe 10% of fuel used.

NOTE: If you choose to do the above, try to keep the angle of manifold taper to 7 degees or close to it inorder to get the dimentions desired.
More than 7 and the boundry layer pulls away and turbulance is induced.

These two mods would increase milage and offer much better upper mid-range. Betcha.

For those that want snappier mid-range, raise compression at your own peril by using a thinner head gasket. Make one out of dead soft copper sheet.

Further peril for those that want higher rpm after the expansion chamber is not enough, raise the cylinder ports. This is not hard to do. Just add maybe .010"~.025" in extra cylinder base gasket to raise the ports, then thin the head gasket the same amount or more. Piston seizures are soon to follow if these measures are not taken slowly.

Members that run in cool damp air are going to run better and last longer than those that run in hot dry air.

Good post Bikeguy but do tell the folks to only buy 'n use UV proof zip-ties because otherwise they will age and disappear.

I agree... With Most of it..

Good post.. Lots of good info. Keep in mind this. Using Loc Tight will Void the Warranty on Dax Motors. A poper install and proper Maint does not require it. Not ever. Also..The Studs, nuts and bolts that come with the Dax kits are good enough and not needed to be replaced with Higher Automotive Grade. But..Again..That is the Dax kits. Not sure about other kits. Other than that. Those are the only two things I take issue with. And... Not a big issue at that.. Except the loc tight !!! I take big issue with that. Never..I mean never ever use loc tight on Dax motors !!! Or you will Void the Warranty..Big time !!!

I stripped an exhaust stud without even trying. I use loctite on EVERYTHING.

Just make sure you do so after the 30 day warranty period.

Now, why does it void the warranty?

Pete- as you stated "optimization" in this case is to improve what should have/could have been done at the factory.

Hot rod these engines at your own (considerable) risk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back