Options seem limited these days, whats up ?

My set up has 2 gears on the crank one goes to the engine the other drives 5 gears in the rear. On the Staton SK it can have up to 4 gears on it. One goes to the engine the other 3 would drive the rear gears. You'll either have to use a trigger or thumb throttle. Or you can use a twist throttle but would have to put both shifters on one side. The best way to do that is to use a twist shifter for the 8 rear gears and a thumb shifter for the three front chainrings. This is the shift patteren for a 24 speed. 1(1-3). Up hill towing. 2(3-6) level ground. 3(6-8) down hill long down grades. This shifting patteren gives you 10 gears. The only time you shift the front chain rings is when you're either in 3 or 6 in the rear. It elimitates gear redundancy, cross chaining and chain droop. When stopping going up a steep hill be in 1(1) before stopping. Then use that as a starting gear. All other stops be in 2(3) before stopping then use that as a starting gear. This setup makes 3(6) a 1:1 ratio from gearbox to rear wheel. 3(7,8) are over drive gears. Use these chain rings 28t ( comes with the kit); add 36t and a 44t. Make sure to get steel chainrings aluminum won't last long.

I would buy the full kit with the honda gx35 engine, I watched a youtube video showing a crank removal and extra gear install, looks pretty simple, I would need to get a puller I guess.How long have the. How long have the chain tensioner rollers lasted ??

I didn't know it was optional.Hey if you don't need it why use it, just adds drag and more noise.

What kind of engine are you running ??

Currently a Robin Subaru EHO 35. I've got a Honda GXH 50 I plan to switch out soon. I want to use the RS 35 to build a gas electric hybrid.

I wonder if you could use a staton gearbow with the SBP shift kit ?? It looks like you have everything you need, I would really love a frame mount to free up the back of the bike.

I had the R/S 35, great engine !!

It would be better to use the Staton SK because its a double freewheel design. This allows the engine and pedals to be completely independent of one another. The SBK only uses 1 freewheel so you can bump start a 2 stroke engine.

They now show a 4-stroke listed, not sure if it solves that issue, I would just really like to see the engine inside the frame rails!

The problem with trying to use the SBP SK is you'd be turning the gears in the gearbox anytime you used the pedals. It would cause considerable drag when only using the pedals. The SBP SK 4 stroke is designed for a different drive system and only uses one freewheel. The difference is the Staton SK allows the engine to turn the rear wheel but won't turn the crank. The crank can turn the rear wheel but won't turn the gears in the gearbox. The engine and the crank are completely independent of one another.

Last edited:
Back