Options? Should I rebuild the G100 or buy a predator

Bolts should be easy probably metric if you have one of them you could get the rest. Or look at the engine diagram and it will say.
I do not have any of them but I can look online. I cannot understand how/why the oil slinger is broken though, It still has the governor so probably didnt over rev but it could have. I do not know any of the motors history so it worries me what other "surprises" could be inside. Side note: I pulled out the camshaft to look for wear ( there was some scoring) and a lifter fell out. I easily put it back in but should there be any kind of retaining device? I will have to also look down the plug hole for scoring/damage. I believe the stiff/scraping feeling is because the motor has sat in disuse for so long the oil dripped down or something.

I need a pull start for my 3 hp Briggs build too.
My motor has the emergency notch in the flywheel cup to use a rope with a knot, I am going to use that while checking spark etc but will be looking for one soon. Check your motor for an emergency start notch. I have read you can make your own but have to make one on each side so it stays relatively balanced.
This seems like a big hassle for a potentially damaged engine, are you sure a predator wouldn't work? I could always drive the honda until it blows, sell the parts on ebay, and I could buy a predator/lifan/etc

so the honda is a big unknown, sounds like it needs a full rebuild
Predators are not bad, but half the ppl say the 79cc doesn't have the power you'd expect from that size.
I'd look into Briggs about same size. I guess you're looking for 3hp? 96cc would be the ticket. good used motors on craigslist (usually on equipment) go for $75-150 and you can find some are Honda. a GX120 is a solid engine but by itself new, it's $$

so the honda is a big unknown, sounds like it needs a full rebuild
Predators are not bad, but half the ppl say the 79cc doesn't have the power you'd expect from that size.
I'd look into Briggs about same size. I guess you're looking for 3hp? 96cc would be the ticket. good used motors on craigslist (usually on equipment) go for $75-150 and you can find some are Honda. a GX120 is a solid engine but by itself new, it's $$

I agree, unknown is probably putting it nicely.
Seems the 3hp predator would have more power than a 2.3 hp flathead 1980-1990 Honda. How much would a 3hp Briggs be and would it really have more power than 3hp predator? Should I get OHV or flathead Briggs. I have been looking on Craigslist for a Honda but they seem to bring a lot in Michigan for whatever reason...

If you get a 5hp flathead put a rod and cam in it you’ll be zooming. Check out Oliver motorized he just built one with a 5 horse. 3 horse doesn’t have any performance stuff. Some pics of the g100 would help. You can have someone re grind the cam if it’s not too bad. With old Briggs you have to make sure it’s not worn out because the bore is aluminum.

If you get a 5hp flathead put a rod and cam in it you’ll be zooming. Check out Oliver motorized he just built one with a 5 horse. 3 horse doesn’t have any performance stuff. Some pics of the g100 would help. You can have someone re grind the cam if it’s not too bad. With old Briggs you have to make sure it’s not worn out because the bore is aluminum.
I will get a picture soon, the deal is I have to fix a different kart with the same motor at work first before I can have it because he wants to make sure there aren’t any parts he needs. (There aren’t but I’m going to humor him) I should have it within a few weeks and I’ll post pics and you guys can tell me what you think/whether it’s worth saving

How much does a 5hp Briggs weigh, wouldn’t that be a cop magnet? I am planning to use my bike to get to work and Michigan doesn’t allow motorized bikes.

Back