Ordered a Staton Friction

Local time
12:17 AM
Just pulled the trigger on an order for a Staton Friction kit w/ the R/S 35cc mill. Are these pretty straight forward to install? I wanted the option to pop this thing on and off rather quickly in order to put it on other bikes. Sometimes, I just like to get some excercise on my way to the bar or Mc Donald's.

Do friction set ups allow you to just dial the roller off the wheel, for a quick psudo un-install?

It's going on my new Trek 7100. A sweet hybrid.

The Staton website instructions for the install refer you to the pictures to get the idea for the install. I think I can handle that. Kinda like Ikea furniture!

I did order the add on support rod with it. Dave said it's a good idea. I did not order the bigger tank. I thought I'd get it set up and watch for what others are doing first.

Don

Hi Don,
It'll probly take you about 1/2 hour to install the first time, providing there aren't any unforeseen issues. You'll get quicker at it after that. If it doesn't start right away, it'll probly be a problem with the kill switch. It should be replaced anyway (IMO). The roller does lift off the wheel if you want/need to just pedal. The extra support rod is necessary if you ride like me. I switched to the larger tank, I sometimes do 80+ miles in a day.

Pretty quick & easy to install & remove. Easy to fix a rear flat on, too !!!!!!!!. It helps to stabilize the bike when installing . Tie it snug to a tree, so it won't fall over. You will be riding in 30 minutes rather than throwing away, or working on so many poorly made parts like some kits. You won't even have to " CUSS !"

Yes - you will be up and riding soon. Try to take it easy -- I got pretty excited while waiting for mine -- as mentioned from the ones above -- install goes well usually -- I had a disk brake in the way -- cut one bracket a little shorter and attached it to the brake. Happy Riding from - Mountainman

The first one I installed, it took a couple of hours, as I took my time & was sure of what I was doing before I did it. The second one took about a half hour.

There's a U-bracket which clamps to the seat stays. Staton suggests wrapping a piece of old inner tube around the tubes to avoid damage, but I used the rubber electrical tape (not the vinyl or polyester tape, I'm talking about the thick stuff, which has a peel-away liner, which fuses to itself. About $5 a roll, at Home Depot) The Dekra pic, below, shows the U-Bracket clamping well, but, they didn't use any rubber around the tubes.

There's a couple of extra nuts with serrated lock washers on the bolt that holds the channel to the U-Bracket. Those two nuts are used to center the channel (and roller) on the wheel. Loosen one & tighten the other to shift the channel to the left or right.

Take a look at the pictures at his site.

Be sure to get the friction roller exactly at a right angle (90 degrees) from the wheel. In other words, the friction roller should be exactly parallel to the rear axle. Otherwise, the roller will cause your tire to wear faster, and you'll lose power because your frictional losses will be greater. Ref the sketch, below.

Finally, if you use tie-wraps to keep the throttle cable neat, don't over-tighten the tie-wraps, as you can pinch the throttle cable & make the throttle stick. Just enough 'pull' on them to hold the cable in place.

Attachments

• Roller Alignment.JPG
    Roller Alignment.JPG
    9 KB · Views: 361
  • Friction Mount 4.jpg
    Friction Mount 4.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 195
  • Friction Mount 5.jpg
    Friction Mount 5.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 191
  • LouBike0.jpg
    LouBike0.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 275
  • Friction Mount 7.jpg
    Friction Mount 7.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
?

How is tension or pressure adjusted against the tire? If the engagement bars were threaded, it looks to me like each side is turned evenly, bringing the roller down upon the tire, acting like a turnbuckle. Some I see are made from flat stock, so how is pressure against the tire adjusted? I'm not sure which type will arrive with my Staton R/S 35cc kit.

"Chinese motor on a cheap Chinese bike, installed by a very confused, drunken man. I hope it will go very fast!"

There will be a quick-release mechanism. You push down on the rack until the desired deflection is achieved, then you lock the mechanism.

Thanks for the info guys! Hoping to be up and running soon with my HT rig, mounted on a Huffy Cran-broke. Got a few more things to do when I get the time. The Staton's going on a Trek 7100, which will likely be the primary ride. The HT is just for the misery of it. Maybe I'll loan it to people I don't like.

CU on the road, but hopefully not while I'm at work. I'm an EMS helicopter pilot.:eek:

Don

Back