Crashes oregon fatality last month

That's I've had my bike for about 3 month but not ridden it yet because I do not have a helmet sad story thanks for sharing this hope it helps others.

He got nailed by a car (his fault) doesn't sound like a bike helmet would've done him much good.A drag either way.

yea that last link wasn't an accident, I think it was just his time to go, at least he went doing something he probably loved!

He got nailed by a car (his fault) doesn't sound like a bike helmet would've done him much good.A drag either way.

Never know, looks like it was a residential street (20-30mph) and the impact tacoed his front wheel, most body parts can be broken and still live but not your brain.
I live in a large gated community myself and I rarely wear my helmet if I am not going out of the gates but lately it seems 4 out of 10 cars in here are not even taking there foots off the throttle at stop signs here let alone stopping.
They know theres no law enforcement in here but I actually do stop at the signs on my bicycle, If I didn't I would have died 8 times now in the last month. I will be complaining to management about these idiots, some kid is going to get killed if they keep running stop signs!

@sactowie The inattention does not end at the gate. Even if the Eugene fatality would have occurred helmeted or not, I hope we R not supposing that helmets are any less than absolutely necessary. Even if U spent decades without helmet wearing, smartphones have qualitatively changed the game. When I'm human powered biking, I think the physical activity heightens my awareness. I see many, many more driver's eyes reading and fingers texting, with occasional glances outside. Not sayin' other MB riders R dull - IM sure UC this 2. Cops say they can tell smartphone users just from their driving, and I think most of U agree. It only takes one Spacey Stacey typing in one OMG at the wrong time...........

@sactowie The inattention does not end at the gate. Even if the Eugene fatality would have occurred helmeted or not, I hope we R not supposing that helmets are any less than absolutely necessary.
I will say, unless it's a motorcycle helmet, you are kidding yourself.A bike helmet is shown over and over to do little when it comes to collisions with cars, they are for a tip-over falls under 15mph, which can easily happen anytime on or off a bike, depending on your balance.There's been an overt safety campaign since the 70's slowly brainwashing people.I won't ride helmeted until I start to lose balance, thankfully I live in a state that hasn't gone full wacko with the bubble-wrapping of humans.
Here's a good way to tell if you NEED a helmet; stand on one leg, point the toe of the suspended foot forward, you should be able to hold this for 30 seconds easy.Now switch to the other leg.If that's no problem, try to balance something (broom, pool cue, crutch) on the flat of the suspended foot, my guess is you won't be able to hold it for 10 seconds.
1) If you can do the pointed toe balance for 30 second each foot, you can take or leave a helmet.
2) If you can hold the balanced object on your suspended foot for 10 seconds or more each side, you don't NEED a helmet.
3) If you can't do either it's trike time.
To each their own, if they make someone feel safe good on ya, but if it's not a DOT motorcycle helmet it may as well be a bike cap.Safe biking always trumps full ABS padding.

Hey, I failed to mention that i do wear a skid lid brand motorcycle helmet 99% of the time. Granted its a 1/2 helmet but much better protection then a flimsy little bicycle helmet.
Only times I don't wear it is when I am tune and testing in my gated community and I should get out of that habit even though theres hardly any traffic in here, as mentioned above they don't bother to acknowledge the stop signs here.
Anyway I didnt mean to contradict myself, like I said Ill get into the habit of tune and test with the helmet.

Back