Oscar Died On The Road!

Hal the Elder

Local time
12:48 AM
Hello...

I hadn't ridden Oscar, my 2005 NE5 in over 3 months, and now since it's cool enough for long pants, I thought it was time to ride again! I checked the oil, gas, air, & electricals, fired him up, and stroked on down the road...it sure felt good!

About 1 mile out he just quit, with no burping or commotion...just like the ignition was suddenly shut off!

I checked the fuel flow to the carb, which was ok, but I couldn't check the spark until I pedaled Oscar home with the clutch pulled in.

Then I stuck a piece of wire in the spark plug connector and held on to the other end while I pedaled the bike with ignition on and compression released...no high voltage, or I would have surely felt it!

The fuse ain't blown, because the lights & horn work.

Any suggestions on what to check next?

Thanks, Strokers...
HAL

sounds like either the magneto or cdi.... check to make sure the coil wire is in the cdi unit all the way, If it is check the magneto for any stray wires hanging off. If no problems there then replace the magneto first, if that doesnt work replace the cdi.

here is a site to buy the parts... very reputable. Your magneto is about halfway down the list.

http://thatsdax.com/ENGINE_KIT_PARTS_PAGE_1.html

Did you check the plug??? How did that look???

Disconnect one or both wires from the kill switch on the right grip to make sure the switch didn't short out on you. Also look at the flywheel and make sure the trigger plate is still screwed on to the outside edge. Good luck
Jim

No need to check the plug!

I pulled the cable from the plug and found there was no spark coming from the coil, or I would have felt the impulse going through me.

No spark visible, no spark felt...NO SPARK PERIOD!

Thanks for the other tips...

HAL

Ooooops!!!

Boy, do I have egg on my face!

I went out to check the kill switch for shorted wires, and I found that THE KILL SWITCH WAS OFF!

I must have hit a bump on Kiowa Road and my hand inadvertently bumped that tiny switch to the OFF position from the RUN position!

Now I must apologize to Oscar for depriving him of his ten-mile run today!

Thanks for the "kill switch tip", Jim!

HAL

here's to ya.......

breakfast.jpg

Glad it worked out okay!!

Hi Hal,

I guess you are the only one that has ever had that problem NOT!

I wish I had a quarter for every time the switch was "off" when I have tried to start my bike.

I am also guilty of trying to start my bike with the key turned off. It is so common that I now check the key switch or the kill switch if the bike doesn't fire on the first "kick".

Have fun,

Back