Other piston ring options?

noah9988

Local time
5:36 AM
Are there any other 47mm piston rings that will work with a standard 66cc CG? Mine are leaking (I put 2 stroke oil on top of the piston and it all leaked by in about 30 minutes) and I was wondering if there are better quality rings available. If not, is there anything I can do to prevent blow by? I haven't disassembled it to check how much blow by I have though.

I'm not surprised the oil leaked past the rings
The rings have an end gap and also the rings really don't seal in the piston ring groove very well until it's under compression

Check you compression

I'm not surprised the oil leaked past the rings
The rings have an end gap and also the rings really don't seal in the piston ring groove very well until it's under compression

Check you compression
Yeah I'm not really surprised either considering how big the ring end gap was. I checked the compression and it read 210-220 psi. I'm not sure if that's accurate, it seems high. I have a cdhpower 5.5cc head and a .6mm squish gap. I guess I shouldn't worry about it then, lol.

Related question: should I be concerned about pre ignition/knocking using 90 octane ethanol free fuel?

I just ordered two sets of 47x2mm Caber rings. Coming from Greece. 2mm thick rings are not very common
here it seems. 1.5 are. Were cheap enough at $5+. Shipping was about the same.

The listing I bought from didnt indicate anything about being a scraper so cant say. They were sold under chain saw listing on ebay. These rings should improve compression. I have a 1.5mm set for another engine. I placed em in the CG bore and the ring gap was quite small way better than stock rings.

The listing I bought from didnt indicate anything about being a scraper so cant say. They were sold under chain saw listing on ebay. These rings should improve compression. I have a 1.5mm set for another engine. I placed em in the CG bore and the ring gap was quite small way better than stock rings.
Oh, I see. I didn't know what a scraper ring was... probably don't want them for 2 strokes. :ROFLMAO:

Probably these then https://www.ebay.com/itm/Piston-Rin...3596?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c1#viTabs_0

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Cannonball I still haven’t used the set I bought, I’m about to rebuild one of my engines and plan on using better rings.

I installed a set of Caber 49x1.5s and checked ring gap before putting them on the piston. Was .017 which I thought wide. Stock was .028. The Cabers are quite a bit stiffer. They are running in an iron bore. I might be hesitant to run them in an aluminum bore. Those of you with more experience with them might chime in with your results. They seemed to seat pretty quickly as the idle improved faster than most new rings I have run.

Back