Outfitting That Rugged Worksman Wheel

Hal the Elder

Local time
9:52 PM
HEY!

I'm really impressed at the construction of my new 26" Worksman Coaster Brake Wheel!

As for installing the sheave, I can use a drill shank as an arbor for opening up the pockets for clamping the sheave to the spokes, but if I use an arbor of the same diameter as the spokes (#31 drill bit, 0.120"), there won't be much grip, so I can use a slightly smaller shank to assure that the clamps will exert some pressure on the spokes when tightened.

I can go to a #32 (0.116"), a #33 (0.113"), a #34 (0.111"), or a #35 (0.110"), or even smaller. What do you think? I would just force open the pockets by tapping the drill shank into them with a hammer.

Also, don't you think it would be better to mount the tire before installing the sheave?

As for installing the sheave, I was thinking of using a large round trash can as a working support.

All tips will be appreciated!

HAL

Hi Hal
You must be very careful not the nick the spokes with a clip that is too tight. I think you will see it will be a perfect with the #31 drill. Maybe Quenton will be able to shed more light on this for you. I don't think mounting the tire first will make any difference.

Jim

Last edited:
Hi Hal,
There are several ways to center the sheave. I have a special fixture to center my wheels. I have been told to loosen the screws, start the motor and the sheave will center itself. I have never had any luck with that method. If you want a very easy way, mount the wheel in the frame, wrap a piece of wire [coat hanger works well]around the frame and use it as a guide to center the sheeve.

Have fun,

How 'bout this method?

With wheel atop large round trash can, use 6" machinist's rule to obtain equidistant spacing between sheave and rim at all 9 points.

I checked the wheel while rotating in the bike frame...there's no radial or lateral runout...it runs true. (Thanks, Worksman!)

HAL

Attachments

• IMG_1371.JPG
    IMG_1371.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 468
Back