OZ super coil VS stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

machanic

Local time
9:01 PM
I've been playing with the lighting coil and thought I should test the OZ super coil, the stock coil put no spark out until 600 rpm and about 18000 v, at 4260 rpm it put out about 26000v, the OZ put out spark almost as soon as the rotor spun and put out 60000v and peaked at 62ooo v at 4260RPM, conclusion it works, it's SUPER and spark plug gap should be set at 40ths. This test was done with the stock black box ignition. OZ super coil 006.jpg OZ super coil 008.jpg

As soon as I learned the Oz super magneto used a thicker wire with less wraps it was no question I wanted one to increase my spark...Bigger wire less wraps equals lower resistance...less resistance equals more energy to the plug.

I bought mine at the same time I bought my motor...lol

I don't know if the wire gauge is heavier, can't see it on the OZ It's wrapped with no exposed coil wire, unlike the stock, but there sure is more windings which equates to higher voltage.

More wraps would give higher resistance...maybe more wraps of a much larger Gage wire then.

I build coils for vaping and given two equal amounts of wraps the thicker gauge wire will produce much lower ohms which equals less resistance.

But vape coils use electricity and make heat, this is the other way, in laymans terms this creates electricity (induces a flow of electrons) so in coil building more coils higher voltage, thicker wire higher amperage, more magnet more everything.

But vape coils use electricity and make heat, this is the other way, in laymans terms this creates electricity (induces a flow of electrons) so in coil building more coils higher voltage, thicker wire higher amperage, more magnet more everything.
When wraping an electric motors armature more turns produce less power,lower rpm and higher resistance,thicker wire used in the windings produces more current(amps) with the same number of turns and less resistance.Putting a higher # of turns in a heaver gage would put it between the two.

Depends on the motor you are winding, a car starter motor is limited to 12v but heavy on the amps so less windings but heavy gauge, a 120v brushed dc motor more windings lighter gauge. for the same power, RPM and torque are different but HP the same. But anyway when you think of mags and generators think transformers , same principal but with a permanent magnet instead of electrically induced magnetism.

Last edited:
I've been looking a little closer into these oz magnetos as i sell them

Starting to think the extra voltage will actually be increasing the timing giving you more grunt but with a loss at top speed, im going to a basic test tonight with it

Here is what got me thinking about things and talking to some people, i got an interesting take on it

https://www.grubee.net/collections/skyhawk-2-cycle-all/products/fat-boy-magneto-coil

the grubee site says:
"Use this TZ HP Fat boy Coil with a TZ Rotor and your choice of any good Aftermarket, ( Lightening , Jaguar, etc. ) external mount CDI.
4700 Turns of wire versus 3800 Turns for a standard magneto coil.
Do not use with a standard TZ or SD CDI box as it will over drive the triggering process and actually give less available KV" (kilovolts)

Stator coil output voltage will theoretically double by doubling the # of turns, so 4700 from 3800 is 24% more voltage. That is good to increase the spark voltage and spark strength but it will cause a normal CDI to spark earlier (more advanced timing). That is because this type of ignition system has the CDI triggered by a certain low level of negative voltage which happens sooner when the stator coil voltage is increased.
And the standard CDI and Lightning CDI already have too advanced ignition timing. Only the Jaguar CDI can adjust for a higher voltage (at the dual switch for those of you who already have one) so that the ignition timing won't be advanced more by inputting a higher stator coil voltage to it.
The grubee sites last statement about outputting less kilovolts is wrong. But the CDI could burn up if the voltage exceeds the main CDI capacitors maximum voltage rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back