p.n.w.- riders. second annual national rally, ocean park wa. 2009!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I grew up in this area and let me just say a few words: hyper-policing, conservative, and intolerant.
And the fact that you're actually into this kind of policing sociality
...you didn't actually call me anything, merely slid the insult in sideways so's to able to say you didn't call me anything. you know why "we" need policing? because noone cares to self-police. this is not a free country, it's a country that enjoys a lot of freedoms based on rules of interaction. call any social-system (or lack of) anything you want...but, it's "house-rules" wherever you go, forever...get used to it. hang out with some "anarchists" sometime to observe the absurdity of the notion...i've never seen "anarchy in action"...someone always sets "norms" of non-conformity for the rest to follow...it's too funny.

let's try this a different way...

i'm 51 years old, a "cold war" navy veteran...

i'm proud that i did do one "westpac" onboard the uss chicago in '76, particpated in allied war-games...based out of san diego and other west-coast ports...

i'm also proud that while on active duty in phila. i climbed up the water tower on the base & "occupied" it for 3 days in protest of conditions in the military justice system...and i did "things" in 'frisco i still giggle about, roamed the haight when it was still real, ya dig? and i have an honorable military discharge, go figure.

i've been to almost every corner of this country...i moved here 2 years ago from the very heart of boston...blah blah...

point is, i haven't lived my life in a vacuum...i don't need reminding about the diversity of our environments, i've lived it for decades.

so, ocean park was already here and what it was when i arrived, but the community welcomed me & has been very supportive of our efforts from day one. research more about funbeach.com to see why we fit in so well...understand that the local economy is about national & international events and an image must be maintained, and understand that i'm not ever going to be able to change that, nor would i care to...but, within those pre-existing constraints, i dared to dream of an annual rally...

so far, so good :cool:

Last edited:
Dude, I hear you, I'm anti social and rebel through and through. So I totally see where you are coming from, but I've grown up a bit and understand "time and place", when to use it and when to reign it in, to yer best advantage. I also see past today to tomorrow and understand the need to plan and strategize to attain those future goals.
Having said that, I guess I have need to repeat myself yet again...
*sigh*
We are no longer hobby status, and as such we are being noticed, watched, and harrassed. At this point in time we need to lay low and play by "the man's" rules while we work on legislation that will allow us to be able to move and ride freely. Having made that broad general statement (again)-

O.P. being the small community it is, we must bear in mind the fact that the M/B'ers who host this event live there year round and must also live with the repercussions of the event after we leave, and as a group and event we would also like to be welcomed back by the community the following year. Therefore, we must play nice.
Those are the house rules, and it's as simple as that. It's still a **** of a lot of fun, but if you don't like the rules, and I'm sorry to say this for I personally feel the more the merrier, stay home. I hate to come off like that, but that's pretty much the way it is.

dang!

where did i say everyone should live like i do? i do wish everyone enjoyed the social serenity i've found here...pardon my idealism, i've never been able to shake it.

so, we've told yas what it takes to have our rally accepted in ocean park, we've told yas what it'll take to get to a point where commerce is part of things. it's the greatest mb'ing on the planet, and there's good potential for a paying event someday...but it comes with a small price...the price is the commitment of both riders and vendors to the future of the rally. someday there'll be a core of folks who hung in there and helped build it...then there will be those who lay back, wait for someone else to do the work, then cash in...ask yourself "which group am i?"

so, everyone...have some patience and practice some vision...or, ride (and sell) somewhere else.

for now, the rally is about a bbq & a ride, no engine-politics, no public sales, & safety rules apply.

dunno what else to tell ya, except...

let's ride!

Last edited:
Perhaps the vendor setup/swap meet should be across the bridge in tax free OR anyway? I don't think anyone in Astoria would mind all that much being as how the town is pretty ghost like these days. Maybe they could put some tables together at Annies?

astoria's 25 miles away, and you have to navigate areas that aren't near as mb-friendly as OP. a private swap will work just fine on private property.

some folks aren't getting it. a group of people got together and accomplished a good thing & now it's about (already!!!) corrupting what worked...a more aggressive, narcissistic market i've never encountered...it's discouraged me before (here on the forum) and it's discouraging me now in real life...i'm beginning to think that mb'ing will never truly be a "movement."

why is everyone more interested in arguing about fixed conditions than working towards bigger and better rallies? imo, it's because it's what this society has become..."me first and you not at all if i can help it"..."do for me, and i'll do for me, too"...and that's what we overcame with a ride that allowed a dozen different types of mb to ride together. watch that video a few more times, see and appreciate the significance, or keep b***hin' and miss out.

leave the 'tude at home, snag a helmet, install some lights, and lets RIDE!

Last edited:
Perhaps the vendor setup/swap meet should be across the bridge in tax free OR anyway? I don't think anyone in Astoria would mind all that much being as how the town is pretty ghost like these days. Maybe they could put some tables together at Annies?
for everyones info annies is the local strip bar & drug connection place in astoria! ya lets go there to be good ambasadors for motoredbikeing!! ive lived in ocean park for 30 years, & am the local water company guy in town! i know the comunity, we play ball with the locals & be safe, act as good responsible adults for the betterment of motoredbikeing & its future riders period. all other issues may be hashed out in the future as time goes on ect. its still early folks so lets take a deep breath & then move on!! relax and say i wanna ride my bike! i wanna ride my bike! i do i do!! its all cool folks & w'ell work it out!:cool:

Wavy gets it?

Then I hope you figured out that I was just funning around with you boys down there with both my comments? I have never even been to Annies but I did meet my wife a few doors down at the Uppertown Pub and Grub 30 years ago. And you have to admit that going up 16th to the Column would be a good test of metal also!

My schedule is always up in the air but if I can make your gathering I will be there and act according to hoyle. I promise.

hehe...no, i didn't know what annie's is...you got me ;)

Hi all mb and op.. I dont know whats going on,but its UUUUGLY.... We all had A great time there and I look forward to next year with even more bikes and responsible riders.. I would like add the respect between police and mb riders was two ways...look forward to next year ..........................Bill

yeah...thanks to mab' for breaking the tension...does someone want to put forth the first suggested date so we can get started?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back