Pablo sent me

eljefino

Local time
2:21 PM
Saw pictures of Pablo's (your amsoil guy) rig on another (oil-obsessed) forum (where he's VERY post-prolific) and ordered a typical chinese 70cc in-frame kit. Should be here in a week.

Will be putting on my old college MTB unless I can find a cruiser locally. Your photo section is very inspirational; cruisers just look so good with that one-lunger bolted in.

Am no stranger to bikes; had a paper route as a teenager and took mountain biking for phys ed credit in college... pounding the hills of upstate NY. :D No stranger to cars either having reringed a few saturns, done head gaskets on chrysler k-cars, changed a transmission, etc.

40 MPG from a saturn is good but not enough, I want to stick it to the man and turn the screws. :devilish:

Of all the $10 bikes I've gotten at yard sales, am chagrined the craiglist bikes are $75 and up. Perhaps if one feels their bike is special enough to advertise, they want more? :confused:

LOL at all your sprocket smileys.

Maine seems to allow 49cc and 20 mph with no registration, insurance, helmet, or inspection... as long as one has a valid permit or license of any sort.

Hi Eljefino. And welcome from a (relative) newbie. You'll like it here. Fun and informative.

And you're right; cruisers look the best with engines. And I've always favored mountain bikes. But cruisers win this one.

Was looking at the cheapo bikes at Target, not that I would buy one, but to see what's in fashion now.

Funny how the cruisers have enormous aluminum down-tubes, I can see how/why the sino-motor needs mounting modification.

Funny, also, how bike snobs berate huffys etc for their solid steel construction that weighs a few lbs more, but this site has no predispositions on everything the snobs hold dear. Bargain basement derraileurs (I may or may not learn how to spell all the french junque) etc don't phase y'all b/c you pedal five seconds a day. :)

Back in college I was in the clearance bin at Bike Nashbar (this was 1995 and the web was nascent) and I rather enjoy the free (thrifty) spirit of adapting junk this place embodes.

My wife and I pretend to be hippies and her 30th birthday is coming up. She's kind of expecting diamond earrings but I'm more practical and this bike is going to be her present. I'm going to get a plaid blazer at a thrift store and play Monty Hall with her and the garage doors, shoot video, and if it's funny put it on youtube.

"What lets you have the wind in your hair, gets better mileage than a Prius, costs nothing per year in insurance/registration, and doesn't leave horse**** everywhere? Let's look behind door #2"...

"What lets you have the wind in your hair, gets better mileage than a Prius, costs nothing per year in insurance/registration, and doesn't leave horse**** everywhere? Let's look behind door #2"...
Brilliant! welcome aboard you will love it here! all the info you could ever possibly want is right here for you, and if its not just ask there will be somebody who can help, good luck with your build

So here's the MTB frame that's my backup plan if I can't find a good cruiser.

AB Barracudda, AB shaped like "american bandstand"... whavever that is

pulling the knobby tires, I don't need the rolling resistance LOL

pic 1
pic 2

As you can see the frame is sqooshed but in the right direction, if the front clamp is long enough it will def be wide enough IMO... probably 7/8" thick at the most.

Welcome to MBc! I agree that the cruisers look best with one of the little engines bolted to it. I have two of them (plus a Whizzer) to back that up. If you ghave a hard time finding a reasonably priced one, there are some tips. Check your local thrift store(s). They do show up at thrift shops from time to time. Check for a Huffy Cranbrook online or at K-Mart or Walmart. granted, not the best bike, but a friend of mine has over 2500 miles on his Cranbrook with a Dax 70cc, without any structural problems (that's a lot of vibration for the frame to endure). The last suggestion is to join Freecycle (if you aren't a member already) and post that you're looking for an old cruiser. I scored a '62 Schwinn Corvette that way. Everything through Freecycle is free, and that's the best price. I don't necessarily want to post an outside link here, so if you need Freecycle information just private message me.
Cheers!

Back