painting engine cylinder. will effect cooling? [ tips pix links ]

H

Herrmanator8

i plan on degreasing and painting my engine head (entire cylinder) i was just wondering if black high temp paint will prevent the engine from cooling as easily. maybe it will act in an insulation effect.

i would like to know because i dont wana have the engine sieze just because i want the engine to look cool.

jon

I read somewhere (can't remember if it was here)
someone gave a very logical explanation of why painting it black would help in the cooling process

does anybody else remember this topic ?

naa, i dont remember. might be before i joined. but how would it help?? black conducts heat. well, ill look into it on the web. it would be helpful for some input from anyone.

jon
thanks

I follow a lot of diesel truck hot rodding and I believe BD makes an aluminum pan for the transmission (automatic) that is powder coated black yet supposedly transfers heat better than raw aluminum....I wonder if the black powder coating is different than black paint or would anything black help
rid heat faster than raw aluminum....I think a positive result of painting the engine black would be that it absorbs heat from the sunlight and keeps the engine warm to reduce warm up times and maybe minutely decrease the wear and tear associated with a cold start of an engine?
Andrew

I'm prety new here, under forum lobby, where I Introduced myself "Whats up from AZ" drimpact left me a nice welcome. He has his motor painted purple. Everybody is so nice here, I love it!

1271_1271_bike00001_023_1_1.jpg

1271_1271_bike00001_025_1_1.jpg

1271_1271_bike00001_026_1_1.jpg

I live in Blythe Ca And its 110 + in the summer here and I've hade no problem with cooling.....but I did powder coat it instead of paint

I'm just getting the hang of Search myself.... type in paint AND black AND engine, 15 topics pop up

wonder if the same thing happens if you type in paint + black + engine? :?

Okay, I'll step up to the plate, the blind batter:

typing in paint+engine+black yeilds 19 results, 3 look hopeful

https://motoredbikes.com/search

This topic has an MB.answer, enough folks can chime in:

A. it Improves performance

or

B. it Does no harm

and/maybe

C. Could be expanded to "designer colored ceramic coatings"? :?

It is a topic which could have a (label edit) and then be carried to the next insane level of "sky blue works too" and "GIJoecamouflaged paint jobs".

i was thinkin that it would be nice to paint the motor black and shave the ends of the fins so that theyre flat and then chrome the ends :mrgreen: . like a harley davidson engine.

it will be cool. it...is...so! METAL!!!!

jon

Herrmanator8 said:
i was thinkin that it would be nice to paint the motor black and shave the ends of the fins so that theyre flat and then chrome the ends :mrgreen: . like a harley davidson engine.

it will be cool. it...is...so! METAL!!!!

jon
like this ?
122_painted_1_1.jpg

122_painted_2_1.jpg

Back