Painting my engine-

G

Yeah, painting it.

Not the Western Flyer engine, another one. This one is going to be my personal ride, the WF is up for sale on eBay and here, there, and other places.

I'll give you all the lowdown on the flimflam when it's done.

I'll say I started by spraying the whole mess off with carb cleaner. It took quite a bit to get all the "funk" off of it. After the carb cleaner treatment, the engine is much lighter in color, a different look from "stock". :cool:

Thought I'd have 'er done today, but had to wrestle with a power steering pump for hours, then I had a code blue with my front wheel/bearings/floor/crud/ect.

Should be done tomorrow.

I'll give you one hint, "monocromatic", just not what you're thinking. :cool:

i moved this from "technical & mechanical help"

enuff already, this is getting to be tough work for the crew...these generic topics do not belong in the tech help section, each one pushes a REAL topic further down :???:

man, have we reached like a population threshold where things just get crazy?

How bout this idea for people who come to build their VERY FIRST bike.

Similar to the PICTURE GALLERY. Like Chopper, he's a good sport. He could have come on, known where to get our translation of the instructions, double checked others, and we would have known OIL right off the bat.

For instance, we know at least 5 folks who are about to start. SliceDice, those people waiting for Dax to get to the post office, your ShowMe buddy with the lemon bike in St. Louis......

They could start a thread in MY FIRST BUILD, in the SUBJECT line they put the engine type/vendor. "70 cc "

We can see "who they are" as author of the thread, edit the subject for clarity.

They can post pix ahead of time, get the bugs out of the bike/frame, then we follow them through till they take a ride and holler whoooooo-hoooooooooo..

That way all these loose things that belong to that one bike, can just be added till there, transfered to a whooooooo hooooooo moment, enter in the Bike of the Month contest, take a long trip, etc.

Do you see how easy that would be? Unless we get 10 volunteers there is no way to keep vanity "modifications" out of tech. :???: :( :(

Tom could make it where we move it to that MY FIRST BUILD spot. (maybe we already can, I just move or delete).

Music on: (I shot the sheriff, but I did not shoot the deputy)

Hell with that slapping leather, it's easier to buzz n' awe. 8)

- The boards's effectiveness as a "repair manual" depends on it's members posting in the appropriate forums, and we've tried our best to arrange things in an easy to understand directory structure.
nah, i got a better idea...it's all laid out in a pretty easy to understand way, so how about reading the rules and policies and showing a little respect & appreciation for this free service?

it would be great if everyone maintained a personal thread that they could just keep adding to instead of all this useless clutter, we don't need to expand the directory for that to happen. for example, my pic gallery may be 5 pages long, but i still only have the one...if i do something new, i'll post a new pic at the end of it, and people will look if they want to!! that assumes, however, that someone won't post a "one-up-on-you" reply and hijack the thread.

sorry, this rant was dying to come out.

I understand what you are saying, and we can't keep up if gas hits $5 and hundreds of newbies come in repeating the same questions.

BUT, look a little deeper at my scheme, it would police itself if folks see the simplicity.

I even have 3 guinea pigs to try, SliceDice, Patch and Nashe.

They start three threads in MY FIRST BUILD. Others with the same engine/bike kinda hold their hand until they holler Wooooo-Hooooooo.Then we have 3 semi trained ninjas, who help on the next batch, giving us double the ninjas every couple of weeks.

It is a LOT more fun to not have errors from the get go, and this COULD be a buddy system we turn over to others as they get comfortable.

Then they can e-mail their friends, family, point right at that one thread that holds their bike build and photos......

Cuz soon I'll be on the road for weeks, NO MODERATION, ditto others taking long trips.

We have to do something, man. :???:

no way on the expansion!!!!!

if people want to start a project thread, they will. stop, please.

This is supposed to be fun......sorry to share any ideas or projects in the wrong places...even though I'm not sure where the right places are anymore and neither do a lot of folks apperently.

Chaos will rule supreme.

I thought maybe "painting the engine" was tech enough given that a lot of people are asking about the how's of it.

I have the feeling that there is going to be a large influx here shortly and no matter who/what topic is presented, it's gonna get burried real fast with newbs asking the same things a hundred times.....I've seen it before on forums. Just the way it is.

So, where do I post this stuff?

it's supposed to be fun for staff, also.

yes, the place has exploded and it's getting tough, we're doing our best, people forget we are volunteers and our only "payment" is another rider successfully on the road.

"general discussion" is exactly that, on-topic general info. "i rode one tonight" or "i painted my engine" is perfect in here, post on, dude.

but, "tech/mech help" is like any help section: ask a question, get an answer. we're trying to start a trend of posting links to already-answered questions, it will greatly relieve the recent data-pressure.

also, i was hoping more folks would like seeing their name in lights, so to speak, and start generating basic posts for the manual. basic is the keyword here, i'd like to provide an alternative to the crappy translations we're handed when we get our 1st engine.

anyway, the social & public strife is something i'd rather avoid, but until i can figure out a way to force people to pre-read our policies (sarcasm) we'll just have to continue doing our best.

I just did what you did. Cleaned off the ENTIRE engine with carb cleaner and it looks so much nicer. I took the side panels off the engine and sanded them flat and smooth with 600 grit sandpaper.

is it ok to paint these with normal spraypaint? they dont get very hot.

(not trying to hijack the thread or anything. but I'd rather post to this than start a new topic.)

I'm not painting the cylinder, just side panels.

Back