Paper Work Carried - if stopped by police ?

hi HoughMade

Now I have full lighting (turn, stop, tail, head) and tomorrow, a '30s vintage horn.

all of those things are cool
but most of us think
that those things should never be required on a motorized bicycle

if all of that was needed -- so as to fit with the local or state laws
a Honda 50 or 90cc with a few speeds would be better

but -- we do agree on one thing

we like to ride those motor bike things !!

In my state- everything at 50 ccs and 2hp and under is treated the same- no lights, horn, etc. required.

Mountainman - You are correct in that you do not need a license to get a plate for your motorized bicycle (406a) in California. However, as of 1993, you need an M1 or M2 license in order to legally drive one.

These motorized gas bicycles generally are legal under definition 406a of the vehicle code. They must:

1) Have fully operative pedals
2) Produce under 2 gross brake horsepower and have an automatic transmission (what about no transmission?)
3) Achieve not more than 30mph on level ground

In addition, they must meet older equipment standards (1966 safety standards?) which would mean a mirror, horn, and brake light. And for night driving, also a taillamp and headlamp. The brightness requirements are less than for cars or motorcycles and only single beam headlamps are required. Turn signals may be a good idea but are not required. You are also supposed to have a DOT approved motorcycle helmet.

To get the lifetime plate which now cost a onetime fee of $19, you fill out a form that has a few questions about the vehicle type and send it in. Basically, if it meets items 1, 2, and 3, you get the plate. No inspection required. Most DMV personal and many officers do not know the requirements.

Part of the confusion comes from the fact that California also has a 406b definition for a motorized bicycle:

1) Have fully operative pedals
2) Having a maximum 1000 watt electric motor (about 1.3 horsepower).
3) Achieve not more than 20mph on level ground

No plate is required, there are no lighting requirements, you do not need a drivers license (just be at least 16yrs old). You only need a bicycle helmet.

California has a myriad of confusing, overlapping classifications: bicycles, motorized bicycles (mopeds), quadricycles, scooters, motor driven cycles and motorcycles. All with different restrictions, licensing, and equipment requirements. Each classification does have a particular purpose though many are subject to interpretation. Most of these were done piecemeal and seem to have been tacked on to cover a specific vehicle type. It would be nice if they were consolidated or simplified so that everyone understood them. Even so, they are what we have and at least they are workable and provide a legal means of using these motorized bicycles.

Last edited by a moderator:
well said and I agree

Most DMV personal and many officers do not know the requirements.

Part of the confusion comes from the fact that California also has a 406b definition for a motorized bicycle:

California has a myriad of confusing, overlapping classifications: bicycles, motorized bicycles (mopeds), quadricycles, scooters, motor driven cycles and motorcycles.

Even so, they are what we have and at least they are workable and provide a legal means of using these motorized bicycles.

I agree
when I went to DMV recently to get a M-2 license
as you say -- they ((three of them)) were confused
and told me that I ((did not)) need a M-2 license to ride a motorzed bicycle
gas version
I should have tried harder
but today
I just ride that THING without a special license
still -- carry my paper work
as you have mentioned Scotchmo
still all in all -- very good ((legal ??)) riding here in Calif........................

It's amazing to me how much variation there is state to state. In Missouri, the law has changed several times. (I've been in law enforcement for 40 years)
Used to be, if it had a motor, it was a "motor vehicle" and had to be licensed and inspected and operated by a driver's license-carrying driver.
Period. No exceptions.

Then came the "oil embargo" of the seventies. Someone in the state legislature thought it would be a good idea to promote the use of those cute little mopeds, and so they were removed from all license requirements.
In order to qualify, mopeds had to be under 50cc, have functional pedals, and a top speed of no more than 25. A true "motorized bicycle".

Then, somewhere around the 80s or early 90s, this definition was expanded. As long as the engine was under 50cc, it was allright. This let a lot of folks ride the little scooters and such that were just becoming available, but also legalized the so-called "pocket bikes", which was a pretty bad idea.
Now, the legislature is trying to figure a way to outlaw the little toy motorcycles, while retaining the motorized bicycles....

I just applied the statute number to the side of the engine AZ HB 2796.
Right under the cc displacment numbers.
No problem yet.

I agree with Scotchmo the law in California is very confusing. I am actually---a Judge here and I sat down with the DMV and couldn't figure it out. But I haven't done traffic calendars in 13 years. So, I wear a helmet, I have registered my bike and I have a motorcycle driver's license. And I carry a copy of "the laws" in my headlight!

Attachments

• Scotty's House  # 3 Doc.jpg
    Scotty's House # 3 Doc.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 220
Back