Paralyzed

Karen

Local time
9:22 PM
Be very careful you know where and where you are turning. Don't let fear or other cars rush you. Take your time and ride safely.
I'm not really new, I just couldn't remember login. My accident occurred July 2nd and I still haven't gone home. I was in ICU from 7/2 to mid-August at Shands Jacksonville, FL then went to Shands TCU in Jacksonville for rehab. I'm still here and tentative discharge date is November 19th.

Keep riding but be safe!

I know that is true, but I met a man with the same injury as mine, shattered T4 paralyzed from chest down like me, and he has only regained a little feeling in his upper abs. He still has no real stomach muscles to help him move and yet he has incredible mobility. Look up Wheeler Medical on YouTube and near top of search results you will see T4 transfer to truck. He is amazing. His name is Donnie and he started that business.

You bet. I have no regrets of having and riding my bike even after accident. I really want to get the word out that, no matter how experienced you are, vehicle drivers pay no attention to pedestrians on foot or bike. They will either ignore crosswalk signals, not notice them, not care, or try to beat you and turn before you get near their turn area. And my accident didn't even involve another vehicle. The above is all from personal experience.

You also have to be careful when approaching pedestrians ahead of you that you are coming up on to pass. I usually shout something like, "Coming up on your left side!", but most of them won't hear you. They are blasting their music through their earbuds. Stupid and dangerous.

Back