Parts pile

I can tell that this site is goig to play heck with my spare time. I was looking at my parts pile today, thinking about paring it down some. It got a bit crumpled while I was plowing snow this winter. And there, lurking in the corner, the next major drain on my time. Now where was that pile of weed whackers? Tomorrow I'll pull it out of there and take a good look at it.

Attachments

• .2_1.jpg
    .2_1.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 739
  • .1_1.jpg
    .1_1.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 610
Okay. I think I figured out what I was doing to the server, so I'll try posting a pic again.

Attachments

• IMG_0348.jpg
    IMG_0348.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_0347.jpg
    IMG_0347.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_0321.jpg
    IMG_0321.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 238
Hi there, Tom here. I've seen a couple of those older trikes and had trouble matching up the rear wheels . They looked to be 24" at first but turned out to be some wierd size that was no longer made

Hi Tom. I won't have a problem. The rim that was existant, was way bent. I laced a new 24" to the hub. So I'm "good to go" there.
Thanks.

So many toys. So little time. I've changed my mind about how to proceed on this one. It's on hold for the moment.

Junk Yards

I would like to suggest that you should check out junk yards in your neighborhoods. I doubt that I'm the only Junk Yard guy around who would rather see a bike reused or parted out than crushed. Strike up a conversation with the guys at your local junk yard. (They'll probably want to talk about your bike anyway.:) ) You might be surprised at the stuff that they see. You might be able to pay $5 for a messed up frame with a really good derailer, etc. Might find a really good frame with a bad paint job.
Today, I had someone come into the dump and pay me to take this StumpJumper:
IMG_1510_1_2.jpg

A half hour later I sold it for $20. The rear derailer was shot and one spoke on the back wheel was broke. I would have let him have it for $10, But he offered $20. It might be a tougher market where you are, but it can't hurt to get the inside track.

keep us posted on the trike. looks like a heck of a project. wow i wish i could weld. bikes on here people have made are awesome and fun to watch the pictures of progress

I need to practice my welding. I've learned so much since joining this forum, that my basic idea for that trike is in an almost constant state of flux. It may take a while for me to get back to it. But, in a couple of months, I might have something interesting to post (another trike).

Wow I love that junkpile :D Every homebuilder/tinkerer needs a good junkpile to draw on. I'm impressed with the simplicity of that tricycle rear axle too. I've seen more that a few axle designs that involve altogether too much clever metal bending and welding to end up with a workable copy. I like tricycles alot because I can ride them on those days when I'm not so well; - and besides they're fun :D

My brothers knew an older tradesman who had worked as a motor mechanic for some years. In the shop where he worked he was generally known as the 'cunning old b@stard' because he was rarely stumped for a solution to any mechanical problem. His word for a big hammer was a 'knockometer' :)

Back