peanut gas tank leaking.

When mounting the tank with what they give you, it's good practice to put some type of cushion between the tank and frame but to get it tight enough not to move around, the studs are being pulled down and the vibration causes tempering of the metal around the studs causing the metal to crack and leak. The mount bracket I'm trying hopefully will minimize the vibration. The bracket can be tightened to the frame and the tank is just snug to the bracket in rubber. Minimal stress on the tank studs.

Attachments

• Tank mount.jpg
    Tank mount.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 363
  • Tank mount 015.jpg
    Tank mount 015.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 400
  • Tank mount 016.jpg
    Tank mount 016.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 405
I have one that started leaking at a stud and it was never bolted down. Used duct tape to hold it on as a temporary tank. Junk.

Once you go with a Nuvinci you will never go back to internal gears.
A NuVinci hub is an internal shifter too ;-}
I like a 5-speed disc brake shifter, positive shifts with a simple twist. A NuVinci requires fiddling and don't put more to than 48cc, I ruined 4 NuVinci's trying to run them with a 66cc.

A NuVinci hub is an internal shifter too ;-}
I like a 5-speed disc brake shifter, positive shifts with a simple twist. A NuVinci requires fiddling and don't put more to than 48cc, I ruined 4 NuVinci's trying to run them with a 66cc.
It's not a internal shifter because it does not shift from 1 gear to another as you well know it mearly changes the ratio by varying the contact points of the mating surfaces. I have 2 Nuvincis. Been running one of them regularly for over a year with more power to it than any of the builds I've seen on your bikes in the china girl division. Works great. I also have a 5 speed sturmey and a 4 speed shimano. They don't hold a candle to the Nuvinci, and no they don't need fiddling. Once you get used to it it's way smoother and easier to function than either of the latter two

It's not a internal shifter because it does not shift from 1 gear to another as you well know it mearly changes the ratio by varying the contact points of the mating surfaces. I have 2 Nuvincis. Been running one of them regularly for over a year with more power to it than any of the builds I've seen on your bikes in the china girl division. Works great. I also have a 5 speed sturmey and a 4 speed shimano. They don't hold a candle to the Nuvinci, and no they don't need fiddling. Once you get used to it it's way smoother and easier to function than either of the latter two
I'll add that if I can drive my 220pound ass at 50mph through that exact hub then it must be good enough for most anyone. I have had more issue from my cables since I sometimes shift live and that means the shift mech is much more resistant to being moved, as a result I've broken my shift cable a couple times just from really cranking it under power.

The one cute part about this hub is it tends to shift towards its lower gearing if the resistance is low in the cable slide, under power it wants to drop. If you snap a cable you can hook the working length to the shift up nut and shift higher and hold the shifter to prevent it turning back. Letting it go and tickling the throttle let's it go back down.

It's twice as likely to break a cable, but the redundancy allows for some play that regular shifters don't have. Even without that accidental feature it's still much more robust than any other hub I've used, again due to just being able to use one solid gear and one very solid chain, every internal gear hub allows that, but those in themselves rely entirely on toothed gears inside to generate gearing, the nuvinci uses the novel approach of a transmission fluid like substance that is a non-newtonian fluid under the right pressure. That is the power transfer of the hub, no mechanical parts actually grinding or meshing, just the extremely durable sphere and 2 smooth races with the fluid in between acting as the "mesh" between parts.

The kicker is there is just nothing that can chip off or create debris inside the mechanics, internal geared hubs have parts that can quickly turn the rest of the system to dust once something let's go. The only part that's really at risk is the freewheel (one way) mech on the gear, and in videos and stories of failure that's the one part that really goes (other than cases of leaks on the earlier models of the nuvinci 360, said to be solved, mine does not leak.)

Definitely smooth, smoother than any transmission on anything I have ever ridden, you can't even hit it too hard, the liquid nature is a buffer so you can't drop the throttle, shift up and wring it with that horrible smack as the gears come to, just sweeps in and rolls nice. I really like that part because I can be a bit more aggressive on the gas without feeling like I'm going to break something.

I'm only 165 lbs. so you can imagine how well it works for me. Well enough to remind me that my riding skills are limited, and at 63 I shouldn't be showing off. Recently I had been getting the front wheel to pull up for a little bit just by giving it the gas and a lite tug on the bars. Well I had a friend over and went to show him how well the hub works but this time I decided to crank up the rpm and feather the clutch into a wheelie. The bike stood strait up in the air, I went off the back and out of sheer panicked luck was able to save it without a scratch. When my friend was finally able to stifle his laughter all he had to say was dude your eyes were as big as saucers and at least you let off the gas. I replied that my under ware were still clean so I guess everything turned out all right.

I haven't noticed mine wanting to return to low, but my hand is always on it. It's fascinating how the fluid squeezed to a molecular level becomes a solid for a instant at the point of energy transfer and then becomes a liquid lubricant once passed through the squeeze. Cool stuff.

I'm only 165 lbs. so you can imagine how well it works for me. Well enough to remind me that my riding skills are limited, and at 63 I shouldn't be showing off. Recently I had been getting the front wheel to pull up for a little bit just by giving it the gas and a lite tug on the bars. Well I had a friend over and went to show him how well the hub works but this time I decided to crank up the rpm and feather the clutch into a wheelie. The bike stood strait up in the air, I went off the back and out of sheer panicked luck was able to save it without a scratch. When my friend was finally able to stifle his laughter all he had to say was dude your eyes were as big as saucers and at least you let off the gas. I replied that my under ware were still clean so I guess everything turned out all right.

I haven't noticed mine wanting to return to low, but my hand is always on it. It's fascinating how the fluid squeezed to a molecular level becomes a solid for a instant at the point of energy transfer and then becomes a liquid lubricant once passed through the squeeze. Cool stuff.
There is a screw on the shifter itself, in the manual it is mentioned as what adds resistance to the cable slide, basically you want it to be just snug enough to prevent it from slipping, not so much though that it is hard to manipulate. Having your hands on the bars does help a lot in keeping it there.

There is a screw on the shifter itself, in the manual it is mentioned as what adds resistance to the cable slide, basically you want it to be just snug enough to prevent it from slipping, not so much though that it is hard to manipulate. Having your hands on the bars does help a lot in keeping it there.
Thanks I'll check that out. All I remember reading in the manual while installing was Indexing the hub, removal of the free wheel which I may have read online, and suggested cog size depending on front sprocket. The things I miss when excited.

I got Fallbrook to send me a developers kit for free to see how it held up to the 2 and 4 stroke engines, it failed, hence the warning to only power it with electric.
The ones I've used lately seem tougher but maybe it's just better 'Go Juice'.

I got Fallbrook to send me a developers kit for free to see how it held up to the 2 and 4 stroke engines, it failed, hence the warning to only power it with electric.
The ones I've used lately seem tougher but maybe it's just better 'Go Juice'.
But what section failed? Did the freewheel or the internal mechs just stop? It may be irrelevant, they may not have changed the fluid but an update was done to prevent it from leaking, I also don't know if any other changes were included however my unit came with a small leaflet in the manual describing a change in how it was assembled. I remember it being really odd because it was VIRTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE to tell the difference between the update and the original manual, everything was exactly the same, it was so tiny of a detail I've forgotten exactly what it was, I think they added a comma or a period and changed a minor line or 2 on the graphic. Seriously so insignificant even I couldn't see it..

But I can confirm that my hub functioned well and fine, and is currently still in what seems to be working condition, maybe once I get a day off one of these months I'll find some time to test something, if there isn't piles of laundry or a yard that needs chopping...

Back