peanut gas tank leaking.

john morrow

Local time
4:33 AM
I need advise on best way to stop the leaking around mounts. Is there a product you can use to mount tank without using the built on way?

Yes and no but yes.

I ended up cutting the bolts off, I removed paint and scuffed it up around the bolt areas, and put a product called seal-all over the bolt and surrounding areas.

Removed more paint in patches under the tank, and used contact cement to glue the tank to angle aluminum. Then added contact cement around and overlapping the edges of the aluminum, let it cure, then coated those dried patches of contact cement with more seal-all to protect it from spills or whatever from getting to the contact cement bonds.

The angle aluminum can be fashioned to the frame in a thousand different ways, including contact cementing large good quality (not harbor freight brand, trust me on this instance) hose clamps into place using the aluminum as a supportive structure.

Currently I'm using hose clamps with the clamps zip tied to the aluminum via 4 small holes on each side where the clamps meet the aluminum.

This makes a virtually vibration proof mounting system. It looks clean if done right, and in a worse case scenario you'll need to reglue the plates, but my design held up almost a year now without being capable of forming leaks at the bolt holes and not leaking or falling off the clamps or angle aluminum on a person who rides the s**t out of their bike, in the last 6 months they went through 4 motors, but the tank is as solid as it will ever be.

See picture for easier understanding
Note090416_1.jpg

I like to silicone the tank on from the start so the bolts are there for looks ...a good pull and a wiggle the tank starts to rip off .

I like to silicone the tank on from the start so the bolts are there for looks ...a good pull and a wiggle the tank starts to rip off .
Not a bad idea, maybe I could try that too, I just don't trust leaving the bolts, but I do know that the angle aluminum can have additional panels glued other riveted on, they could be decorative or can even serve to hide electronics if you are worried about looks

I need advise on best way to stop the leaking around mounts. Is there a product you can use to mount tank without using the built on way?
Get some JB weld that is gas resident to stop the leaks.
Just put it around all the bolt holes and let it dry a day.

I use the kits grips cut up for shims to support the tank above the curve in the frame.
I don't need them, I put BMX foam on for grips for 0 vibration to the hands.

Thanks for the advice, I have tried the jb weld and it started leaking. This time I took Frankenstein advice and it is working great. Thanks to all.

I have built 5 bikes for myself. 4 of them stolen. I have only had one tank that did not leak. I did a lot of dirt road riding The rough road and engine vibration would crack where the mount studs are welded. I would clean the paint off and sand with 80 grit sand paper to scratch the metal so I could JB weld to seal the tank. That only works for a short period of time. So I built this mount and added rubber hose to help with the vibration issue.

Attachments

• Tank mount 001.jpg
    Tank mount 001.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 322
  • Tank mount.jpg
    Tank mount.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 294
  • Tank mount 016.jpg
    Tank mount 016.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 305
Back