Pedal? , crank? problem

Stiff Chain Link?

http://bicycletutor.com/stiff-chain-link/ Here is a link to a video about Stiff Chain Links. A stiff link could be the cause of your skipping problem. It will be harder to find the link in your chain since you can't back pedal a coaster brake, but if there is a link stiff enough to cause the slipping you describe you should be able to see it even pedaling forward.

ocscully

I think the one way roller clutch in the rear hub is malfunctioning,that is it does not engage properly,the rollers are prob. sticking and not riding up the ramps as they should.The hub needs to be taken apart and cleaned,regreased or repaired.

Your problem is your freewheel cassete/cog on your rear wheel. These walmart/target bikes have cheap China parts that aren't meant to last, especially at the speed of an engine. It depends, but if the freewheel isn't removable(built into the hub) as I suspect, you will have to get a new wheel and put a nice feewheel on it. It isn't worth your time to take it apart and mess with it, just buy another wheel and put an ACS Claws freewheel. These you can get for less than $20 and will last a long time with an engine. Don't get the cheap Shimano or China ones, or you will have your problem all over again. If you have to get a new wheel, get one with a disc brake hub so you can mount a sprocket to the hub instead of against the spokes.

Last edited:
okay, I have not yet seen a motorized fixed gear yet (untilI build one). I agree that the problem in the rear hub. Keep the single speed set up. but I think the freehub or fee cassette and rim brakes are more reliable in my opinion. your LBS should be able to help you build a new wheel or repair the hub.

Coaster brakes are inadequate for the higher speeds you now run at with your engine.They get too hot,the grease melts away and things begin to stick inside.Get a freewheel disk brake hub or rim brakes.I see no sign of any other brake either,you need a front brake too,a drum brake would be easiest to install.Try not to become a statistic.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree.......you need a good front and rear brakes. The most important thing on your bike is being able to stop.

Coaster brakes can be used if:

a) they are not your only brake (no brake should be your only brake), and

b) you repack them with automotive high-temp wheel bearing grease.

Thanks for the feedback everybody. I am going to have the person who did the build take a look at it for me and pass along your thoughts on the issue. I did have front and rear brakes put on a few weeks ago, but that was after the photo was taken. Yay for lots of brakes.

Thank you again everybody, you have really helped me a lot with this.

Back