Pedal Sprocket For Grubee HD axle

The HD Hub is not I.S.O. thread.

I gave Jeremy at bicycle-engines a call today. I was told that he is their technical expert. He told me that it is normal for the freewheels to get stuck and that I should just chain them up and pedal them to force them on. Unfortunately, this solution damages the threads if they aren't correct.

I've confirmed today that the threads are not I.S.O. threads. I took a freewheel from a Chinese electric scooter and tried it. It went on like butter. Unfortunately, it didn't have bike teeth. So I ordered one from this site - http://www.scooterparts4less.com/web_electric/freewheel_hub.htm

It came in the mail today. It also went on like butter.

Here's the clincher:

The Chinese electric scooter freewheels don't fit on any of my normal bike hubs, but they fit perfectly on the Grubee axle. My other normal freewheels from my regular bikes are completely interchangeable with any of my hubs EXCEPT the Grubee.

The Grubee hub has some kind of non-standard thread that is shared by Chinese scooter hardware and not by bicycle freewheels.

This means that either the 100s of people birddog that distributing says buys their hubs are forcing freewheels that don't fit and inadvertently ruining their threads or the hub I received was an anomoly that got shipped to bicycle-engines.com by mistake and the majority of their hubs do in fact have ISO threads and I was just unlucky.

I think that it is fair to assume from the evidence that Grubee buy the hub from a factory supplying the scooter manufacturers and that if these hubs were ever meant for bicycles they would be threaded to accept the freewheels that are generic to the bicycle industry. I very much doubt that Grubee would have a clue about the required threads for a bicycle freewheel because if they did they would get them threaded for bicycle freewheels especially given that all freewheel threads for bicycles (including single speed freewheels) are all the same for screw on freewheels (as opposed to the cassette type). Doesn't inspire much confidence in them.. That's what I like about Staton, Dax etc., they actually know the basics about bicycles and are professionals. I take professional to mean someone who, not only does it well, but actually knows why they are doing it and who they are doing it for.
When I hear stories like this it really makes me angry that they think they can fob anything on us and we'll just lump it.

Yea it would be nice but it would be WAY to big to fit on a bike your lookin at about an extra 2-3 inches on top of the already too wide hub.

Back