pedal sprocket thing?

J

JasperAsh

hey hey again its everyones favorite newb

im building a cruiser that will eventually have a motor mounted
heres the link to the ebay auction
http://cgi.ebay.com/beach-cruiser-f...yZ106945QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting
its prety sweet now, got it painted a sweet color blue and dont worry ill take plenty of pics later

i need help naming the parts i need, its the cylandrical deal that the pedals attatch to

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I have heard it called bottom bracket as well, you will probably need to know whether it takes a 1-piece crank or a 3-piece...they are different threads if I am not mistaken

ah, is there any way to describe my bike more specifically then a cruiser so when i go to my bike shop, i can ask around and not seem like a complete dope?

yeah, bottomset & crankset goes into bottombracket. (i think?)

usually, "size" is much more important than "style" when talking about mechanical components...if it's in the budget, get a cheap plastic vernier caliper and familiarize yourself with your frame's specs.

Bikespeak 101

bottom bracket=Pedal crank bearing assembly
(there are four common variations in bearing sets:
astrabula crank=1 piece(the crank used on most 1930s and newer balloon tired and current cruiser bikes.
cottered crank= 3 piece cranks, usually steel, held on the "spindle(crank axle) with steel pins. ex: old european and asian bikes before late 1970s.
collerless cranks=steel or alloy cranks held on a tapered diamond or splined spindle with retaining bolts. ex: most older top end racing bicycles and most contemporary bicycles that don't have an astrabula crank. Furthermore, the 3 piece cranks have three different sized common bearing cup sizes and thread combinations. They are known as english(the most common), french, and italian types. Some of these have a reverse thread on one side as well.) Many newer cotterless cranksets use a cartridge type spindle and bearing assembly.
headset=Front fork bearing assembly
dropouts=slotted frame and forkends where the hub axle mounts
stem or gooseneck.=handlebar holder that mounts in the steering tube of the fork

Back