peddles/peddels on a old honda scooter?

jlebh1

Local time
12:09 AM
I was just thinking that it would be great to just add peddles to an old honda scooter like this - (picture) it would be more reliable than our happy time engines and it was built to have a motor on it so the frame would last alot longer. Has anyone done or know of someone whos done this?

Attachments

• honda.jpg
    honda.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 7,442
Last edited:
there were some old mopeds that actually had pedals, puch comes to mind. there are definitely some that came with pedals from the factory and can still be found.

Um....all mopeds had pedals. That's what made them mopeds and not scooters.

sorry, I didn't mean to confuse people; but unfortunaley most people don't know the difference between the two

Ah mopeds. The pedals really weren't that reliable for the added weight of heavy duty parts makes pedaling those puppies a real dog.

I was just thinking that it would be great to just add peddles to an old honda scooter like this - (picture) it would be more reliable than our happy time engines and it was built to have a motor on it so the frame would last alot longer. Has anyone done or know of someone whos done this?
The problem that you may have with doing this is that a MOPED is legally a motor vehicle (at least in the US)....
And most states have laws that say that you cannot operate an unregistered motor vehicle on public roads.
According to IL law (and I'd bet most other states) if a vehicle has a VIN number, then it is legally designated a motor vehicle, and all motor vehicle regulations for that vehicle class apply.

...And if you had to register it as a moped anyway, they wouldn't care if it had pedals or not.
~

All the mopeds I've seen that had pedals (like a bicycle) had them because the engine was pedal-start: you actually had to spin the pedals to turn the engine over, to start the engine. There was no pull-cord or electric-start on the engine.

The pedals were no good for non-engine riding, because the pedals were geared to the back wheel at about a 1:1 ratio (which is entirely too low to be useful!) and they spun the engine as well when you turned them.

For what it would take to spin those pedals if the engine failed, most people would just get off and push the thing anyway and go almost as fast with less effort.
~

Ah mopeds. The pedals really weren't that reliable for the added weight of heavy duty parts makes pedaling those puppies a real dog.

my buddy just gave me one of these - old Honda with pedals mop-head
pretty cool - says that it only has 600 miles on it - tires look good
hasn't been ran in a while - need to clean out carb - tank - ect

yes - as Large says - to pedal this thing
without using the engine would be a ----------REAL DOGGIE

adding pedals to a MB that doesn't have pedals
to me sounds like a little too much of a job
something custom made - WIDE - to get around that engine
got to be super strong - a lot of torque there

Ride That Thing - Mountainman

A guy tried to sell me a Honda Hobbit yesterday. Get this: its a moped with belt drive. You just flip a switch near the rear axle and that engages the belt drive, the pedal part is is chain drive.

50cc and belt drive would make a nifty bike powerplant.

Back