Peddling while motor engaged...

54 teeth chainring

I had to change my front chain ring to a 54 tooth (largest made) so I could
pedal assist at speed. I am thinking of getting a rear cassette with a 12 tooth
small gear vrs the 14 tooth that came stock.
Pedal assist is the way to go! Get some exercise on the way!

A

Hi, I also enjoy pedaling along with my motor for the exercise and I was wondering if you could tell me where you located a 54 teeth chainring? I have a 52 tooth/11 tooth and would like to go larger on the chainring. Thanks.
Butch

I run a 62 tooth front sprocket on my trike. Look for suppliers for recumbent bikes for the large ones. You can get an 11 tooth sprocket for your rear cassette. With both of those, you should be able to pedal up to the 30 mph area.

With a 44/16 ratio on a 20".... I can pedal up to 25mph, but I have to put waayyy too much energy into it.

I wish I had a front derailer that changed from a 44 to a 66 tooth or something crazy like that, so I can actually feel that resistance in my legs a bit past 25mph.

Andy needs to get hardcore about having any custom sprocket or freewheel you want...

Recumbent bikes, because of the small wheels, often use front chain rings in the 60+ tooth range. Somewhere there's a pic of a Schwinn drafting behind a train that has a chain ring about as big around as a 55-gallon drum!

Back